Automatically queue a track to always follow a specific track - different take on a "link"

This is a different take on the "Ability to link tracks together" idea, but simplified and clarified. 

Right now if I am listening to an "intro" song, like Van Halen's Eruption, I can select You Really Got Me, right click, and "Add to Queue" so that it plays immediately following.  Otherwise Eruption ends and something totally unexpected comes up and wrecks my morning.  There are countless example of songs intended by the artists and expected by the listeners to always follow another.  I won't bore you and list them here, but you all have your favorites. 

A simple solution to this is to add one more option to the right-click pulldown menu - right under "Add to Queue", we should have an option to "Always Queue After Current Song".  Then any time the song you're listening to now plays in the future, the song you set an "auto-queue rule" for will be put into queue automatically - even if that song is not in a playlist that the intro song is in. Ideally the queued song would play without a gap so it sounds seamless as intended. 

SpotifyCapture.JPG

This is different than the Apple method of linking songs because with Apple, a linked set of songs becomes listed as a single track in the library with whatever name you give it.  Using the auto-queue functionality, each track remains a distinct track and shows up as such in any library, station, playlist, etc.  The software is simply using a rule set to determine that one track will always follow another - so all track counts/statistics stay accurate.  This should avoid any statistic or royalty issues.  

This is also a safety feature!  If I could set this up as an auto-queue rule, then I would not feel the need to find the second song in a set and set it to queue - while I'm driving, for example.  I'm not condoning that, of course. 

If you think music should be listened to the way the artists intended, and you listen to any music that's intended to be contiguous from one track to another, please vote to get this feature implemented!

Thanks!

@jon9091 

@wsmyth 

@joshendley 

@musiklyssnaren 

@lloydian0 

@riff-1954 

@WesleyM77 

@dancingtrout 

@jacobhanson1010 

@Blibdoolpoolp 

Comments
jon9091
Watch this video on how Apple implemented “grouping” years ago. This is what I think Spotify should do, only with separate sub-playlists. But they are too busy with Stranger Things versions and moving a button 2 cm to the left, etc. Honestly, in all the years I've been using Spotify, I haven't seen a new feature that I thought was inventive or necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKq7hRBrWVQ

Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: New Idea
Blibdoolpoolp

Brilliant. This might lead to even greater possibilities in the end, I'm all for it. 

Blibdoolpoolp

@jon9091 wrote:
Watch this video on how Apple implemented “grouping” years ago. This is what I think Spotify should do, only with separate sub-playlists. But they are too busy with Stranger Things versions and moving a button 2 cm to the left, etc. Honestly, in all the years I've been using Spotify, I haven't seen a new feature that I thought was inventive or necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKq7hRBrWVQ
This is unacceptable to not have this feature in all music players now. I might consider going back to a non-streaming solujtion if only offline media players have functionality like this. 
tfsimon
Casual Listener
Thanks for sharing the link. I'd not seen that before - I'll have to try that. My way of joining tracks with itunes was to do it at the time you rip the songs from CD - before ripping, you can join songs together. Down side to that method is If you purchase music online you have to first burn to CD, then rip, using the link function in the process. Good to see they now have a way to "group". Maybe I'm becoming less anti-itunes. I still can't believe Spotify hasn't gotten on board with this idea - in one form or another.
Rock Star 3
Rock Star 3

This is an amazing idea, I wish we had the feature.