Announcements

[Big Screen] Now Playing layout on TVs and Consoles

I want the 'Now Playing' layout back to the old one on Xbox.

It looks like this. 

PSX_20181121_153451.jpg

Updated on 2020-11-09

Hey there,

Thanks for submitting this to the Idea Exchange!

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments
emcentire

Completely agree. I really enjoyed being able to see a large version of the album artwork that the artists spent time making for their songs as well as the next and previous songs on the playlist. Instead, the new format makes the album artwork tiny with some sort of artist banner that's the same for every one of their songs. I love the artists I'm listening to, but I really don't want to stare at their mug on a big TV. At least give us the option to turn off the artistIMG_20201102_175642.jpg banner.

Mario
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-11-09

Hey there,

Thanks for submitting this to the Idea Exchange!

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

silli
Regular

The latest version is a downgrade for sure. 

This also applies to Chromecast. 

cabcallaway
Regular

Commenting to echo my disdain for the new cast style. Please bring back the color gradient matching the album art, and the prominent display of the art itself; large and in the middle.

chc

I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to have a creepy giant head staring at you while you're listening to music. Big Brother vibes, anyone?

If you are using a Chromecast, there is a possible "workaround" - create a speaker group and cast to the group.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7174267

Your screen will now be in ambient mode with the music playing in the background, and at the bottom of the screen there will be an overlay showing only basic artist/album/track info.

It is not ideal, but it is better than having Big Brother watching you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

silli
Regular

Oh yes, ran into that speaker group alternative, too. Thanks for reminding. Way better than so-called artist pics, but still not good.

WheelOfTheLaw

@chc @silli

The "speaker group" option worked really well for me, thank you!  I hadn't realized that you could have a speaker "group" of one device.

Still not ideal, of course, but much better than the giant floating artist heads.

danicieuse

Yes, please change it back on Google nest. The cover art is soooo tiny. It should be something we should be able to configure from the app. Thanks!

Also, do not remove the cover art from the nest hub when the music is playing in a group of speakers. I want to have it constantly on it, not just for a while... 

stephen24

I can't cast spotify to my tv anymore because some artist backdrops are innappropriate and I have young kids. One artist had a nude photo that came up while listening... I vet my song content to be age appropriate but now I am afraid of what kind of artist images will pop up. Aside from that I agree that practically the idea mentioned is far superior. It shouldnt be that hard to select from a few visualizer options. Very dissapointed in this new visualizer which makes casting basically not an option anymore in our home unless we very specifically hand pick the songs 

Stupib
Visitor

Devs, please fix.