Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Block / Hide / Blacklist Tracks or Artists

The Star feature should be complemented with a way to mark tracks as excluded. Those tracks would then be skipped even when included in the current playlist.
This way the enjoyment of a good album wouldn't be disrupted by tracks you don't like, while the album in its entirety can still be kept in the playlist.
The Anti-star can easily be implemented as a flipside to the regular star as they are mutually exclusive. Click the star once, the track becomes a favorite. Click again, the star icon changes to the anti-star and click a third time and either flag is gone.

A no-brainer to me.

Updated on 2020-05-13

Hey, 

Thanks for coming to the Community Idea Exchange.
We're marking this idea as 'Implemented'.

The option 'Don't play this artist' is now available on iOS and Android.

You can also find more info on hiding individual tracks from playlists or albums here.

If we have any information about this on other platforms in the future, we'll report back!

Comments
muizenissen

@johnka Hey man, no, I did not, actually. Sorry. I just joined your group and read that comment. Thing is - I want to support you. Don't get me wrong there. I do think, however, it is very wrong that a user like you or me needs to step forward and solve the problem Spotify is unwilling to resolve.

Regardless of any Twitter / Facebook **bleep**storm we're trying to get going here, I don't think Spotify will solve tihs problem any time soon. So, your work will be very valuable for thousands of people, and if they are a bit serious, I am sure they wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for it. Heck, I even offered a 25% subscription increase if we'd only get that stupid feature working. I would be happy to pay you $2 a month for using your app, and if all 3000 of us would do that, you'd be maing your fair share of money for it.

You are absolutely correct in saying that money IS a motivating factor and it is rightfully so. You're not doing this for fun - you're correctly doing this to a) solve a problem and b) make a buck out of it. I would say - go ahead, you'll be finished MUCH earlier than Spotify.

The sad thing is, though, I am a Windows Phone user, not planning to go to Android or Apple any time soon. I think Spotify will abandon me for sure, and chances for you to fix this in WP's strict environment are also very slim to none, I think. Hence I took it out on them in public. Have you seen their reply?

"Hey Stephan! We're constantly improving the app and hope to provide more features for our users in the future. Thanks for your feedback, we'll make sure it's passed on to the right folks. Give us a shout if you need anything else."

Just doesn't give me any confidence that they're going to solve the problem.

dank13

Hi @johnka im really sorry, I didn't actually see your comment, and the group on google, I just signed up for the group and read about the project, that is really exciting and I'm definitely looking forward to see it happening. You can rest assured I'll be happy to pay for your app, regardless of what Spotify comes up with it, and by the looks of it, it's going to be nothing. I reckon Spotify lost its chance to do something about this, they are clearly not interested on their users... I'm a web developer myself and I know how much work is involved in creating something like this... so I'm in 100% on supporting the little guy (you). So you can rest assured what ever Spotify does I'm on your side. I'm sorry if my last comment put you off from finishing your project, I didn't know that was an issue... keep up the good work and I hope to see your app launched soon

cheers dan 

StefanoBrunesci
This comment is insultingly pointless. After 4 years the thousands of people
asking for this feature deserve a better reply than this.
bibirki

hi @johnka
this is really great what you are doing please keep up the good work!

and tell us when the app is released, I think you would make a lot of people happy 🙂

cheers

rickrisk

Please do this!!!

I really find it offensive that just because I'm latin I get bombarded with Reguetton, Salsa and Enrique Iglesias, I F*** hate them!!!

sanarena

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/quot-Ban-quot-artist-from-radio/idi-p/292576 is a duplicate, and by summing votes, this idea should be implemented right away!

hellfeed

This is a very important feature and is constantly detracting from my enjoyment of the platform.

Arkafold

Yeah, this needs to be implemented. I've tried giving thumbs down to a band I really dont want to hear, to no avail.. It's a **bleep**ing waste of my money now.

mlewand

Ohhh, this feature really needs to be implemented. I hate when albums ends with crappy disco remix and stuff like that.

seoexpert

Hi Everyone,

I made contact with Spotify last week regarding this thread (beginning on Twitter) and ultimately via email to the product managers themselves. After my second follow up I received a reply from support but the context was obviously from the folks above. Just so you know, I went straight to the top (I mean straight to the top because you deserve an answer).

Since it's been several days and they haven't posted an update, I'll share their response (below):

"Thanks for your feedback. We’ve passed your comments along to our developers. We’re working on getting a response up on the thread. 

The “Not right now” status on the thread is a response to the idea suggested by the original poster. However, our development teams have considered the general question of how we can improve our recommendations with some extra utility. For example, its now possible to remove certain songs from the Daily Mix feature. We hope to have more updates like this in the future. 

In the meantime, you could try removing songs from Your Music to improve our recommendations. We’ll update the Community when we have more information to share. You can also keep an eye on the Spotify blog for product improvements. We'll be here if you need anything else at all.

Regards,
Jake"

Then:

"We really appreciate you forwarding your concern to us. We're taking steps to take this feedback on board. Hopefully this will reflect in new updates in the future. We'll be right here if you ever need anything else - have a great week."

I found this to be a much more positive response, and am sorry they haven't jumped back into this thread to comment themselves. Sometimes people at the top see the world differently. Maybe they wanted me to respond for them? Maybe they wanted to see how many complaints they get or losses they get before having enough ammunition to create a business case for the developers? Who knows what goes through their heads.

For now, I'm just going to keep creating playlists and will put a pin on my calendar to revisit next year. 

Cheers,

Steve Wiideman

@seosteve