Bring back Endless Radio

Why are you changing the way the artist radio stations work? All my followed stations are playlists now and I don't like it. There's limited functionality with a playlist. I can't remove an artist I don't like from these playlists. I can't "thumbs down" something I don't like so I never hear it again. For instance, I don't want 'Veil Of Maya' in my 'Animals As Leaders' station, but they're in Spotify's 'Animals As Leaders' radio playlist and again, I don't like it. The playlist is always the same. Put an mp3 CD in your car (old school, I know) with 50 tracks on it and see if you don't get sick of it in a week. A radio station changes. I know it's basically just a jazzed up playlist, but it changed often. These playlists are locked in and "shuffle play" only goes so far. Also, the radio stations play continuously. More songs load as they play. At the end of the day, the radio stations are 95% of what I use. Fortunately, I can still get at the "old" artist radio stations for now. If this playlist thing becomes a permanent change and I can't get at the normal artist station, I'll be forced to consider canceling my subscription. It was great before. Loved it. I was perfectly happy giving you my hard earned cash every month. But it seems the functionality is changing, so maybe my cash flow is changing too. This playlist radio system is garbage.

Also, for the love of DOG let me sort my stations by name. This is basic stuff. SMDH

Updated on 2019-10-31

If you'd like to see thumbs up and thumbs down back we recommend voting for this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Mobile-Bring-back-Thumbs-up-down-in-radio/idi-p/4669906

Comments
Regular

I agree, I've read through a lot of Community posts of people very upset about the change from a customizable radio to these preset playlists as well as a few workarounds to still be able make the oldschool radio stations (i.e. thumbs up/down, don't play songs from this artist, etc.). 

I completely agree this needs to be changed back, I have used Spotify since it was being Beta tested in the U.S. as I feel it is the best platform for expanding your tastes and discovering music you might not have otherwise. However, with the recent changes, these new 'radio stations' are absolute **bleep**. In the past when stations were customizable, you could dive into more obscure music and discover great unknown artists easier, I tended to like around 60-70% of what would play in the radios, and could easily switch it up to make it better. With the new setup, I've found I like maybe 1 in 10 songs on any given radio station. The worst update I've ever seen you guys make, and has me seriously considering switching to a different platform after nearly a decade of being a loyal user.

Would highly recommend giving the option to use radio stations how they were in the past before losing everyone that has stuck with it since the beginning.....

What the mother fracking frack is the Spotify team doing!?

i'm sooooo close to jumping ship. It's infuriating to see the two stations I made SIX YEARS AGO appearing in my "Stations" section, while being unable to create any new ones. Why, the frack, may I ask, is there even a vestigial "Stations" section? Because right now it seems like it's just there to taunt me...

- Cody ❤️

PREACH!

Roadie

This change S U C K S.

What the **bleep** are you thinking Spotify?

Why you have to mess wih the things that works perfectly.

First Notifications, Then the Lyrics, Now this?

Intead of change features that don't be changed fix the Suffle problems on Google Home devices.

Feel this entirely! If these changes don't balance back towards better functionality I'm not sure how long I'll maintain my subscription.

This
@ Allenmb wrote:

I agree, I've read through a lot of Community posts of people very upset about the change from a customizable radio to these preset playlists as well as a few workarounds to still be able make the oldschool radio stations (i.e. thumbs up/down, don't play songs from this artist, etc.). 

I completely agree this needs to be changed back, I have used Spotify since it was being Beta tested in the U.S. as I feel it is the best platform for expanding your tastes and discovering music you might not have otherwise. However, with the recent changes, these new 'radio stations' are absolute **bleep**. In the past when stations were customizable, you could dive into more obscure music and discover great unknown artists easier, I tended to like around 60-70% of what would play in the radios, and could easily switch it up to make it better. With the new setup, I've found I like maybe 1 in 10 songs on any given radio station. The worst update I've ever seen you guys make, and has me seriously considering switching to a different platform after nearly a decade of being a loyal user.

Would highly recommend giving the option to use radio stations how they were in the past before losing everyone that has stuck with it since the beginning.....

Regular

Still waiting for the old "song radio" feature to be brought back! These immutable playlists can't even be considered "radio", this feature has completely alienated me from Spotify. I refuse to update my app until this gets reverted, and if it never gets reverted then I guess I'll be ditching Spotify. I was afraid of this type of thing happening after Spotify became a publicly traded company, and sadly, they did exactly as I expected - put profits before the users.

Couldn’t agree more. The old radio function was one of the best ways to uncover new music and get more out your playlists and the artists you enjoy listening to. Bring it back! Bring. It. Back. Briiiiing it back. Please. For the love of Eddie Vedder. Bring it back. 

"Marked as new idea"? Are you kidding me? This is an old feature that needs to be re-introduced. There's nothing new about it.
Meanwhile Spotify should have realized that this fixed "radio" playlist is complete and utter nonsense.

When I was recommending Spotify to others I always told everyone about the great "Radio" feature but now you dropped it? What the? Now there's no reason to specifically recommend Spotify 😞 What a pity!

Casual Listener

This feature has NOT been completely removed. If you drag any song, playlist, or artist to the "radio" section on desktop it will do true radio with thumbs up and down.

That said, having the behavior of creating static playlists is super lame. Radio is well known in vernacular as something you put on and the songs are random/changing. Does spotify remember FM/AM? What about Pandora Radio, Apple music or literally any other streaming platform? Changing the definition of Radio after years of running the platform is confusing, and in my opinion, this new fake-radio playlist provides far less value than creating a static playlist. 

The purpose of radio for most (no actual data to support this) is to find new music similar to their taste and the thumbs up/down to tune the station. 

If Spotify wants to implement a feature that creates a playlist, don't call it Radio! One idea is "Create Playlist from Artist/song" Similar to the "Create similar playlist" feature. Radio implies infinite change!