Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Car Thing][Developer] SDK for Spotify Car Thing

Hi Team,

Car thing is very nice piece of hardware, specially the controls. I am sad to see it going away. I want to ask the team to release an SDK for it, so the homebrew developers can keep it alive for longer. Please consider it before killing the device support.

Thanks

Updated on 2022-10-31

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Jakobstalks

Just bought mine and use it with my Bluetooth speaker to make a kinda new age boom box. Would love to keep the spotify car thing alive somehow!

timmartin15

Don't be wasteful Spotify.

SlicedPear

Just because Car Thing isn't being made anymore doesn't mean Spotify can forever brick the device, wasting everyone's money and creating more e-waste. Give us the SDK! 

jlawrence124

Spotify customer since day 1 in the US. Please do this. This is one of those things that will make me switch to another service. 

Naughty_Jothi

Bricking to render a fully functional, user purchased physical hardware un-usable is a new low

dang2000

It would be a horrible decision to brick the device, not release the SDK, and recommend that users dispose of their device. Releasing the SDK would extend the life of the hardware. It's a simple solution. We as customers should have the right to use a physical product we bought.

mattisvensson

After December, this beautiful piece of hardware will be turned into e-waste. Even though this device is fully functional, working smoothly, and will be destroyed by a server-sided switch.

Please let us all, if we want to, use it after that. To avoid even more waste. To take action of our responsibility for sustainability and allow us to use the API interface, the sourcecode or to modify the firmware to make it use as remote bluetooth media controller for our smartphones to stay safe on the road. Putting our smartphone on a holder to navigate between songs while driving is not the best way, because many of us get easily distracted by the phone itself.

Give that idea a chance, and use the opportunity to create something unique with this great community! Cheers, Matti

mattisvensson

Please, do it! Use that opportunity to create something unique together with this great community!

Shadow115

This is by far my favourite inclusion in my car and seriously wish Spotify acts on these requests.

hellagarages

I believe this would be great for the community. Instead of having to "dispose of or recycle Car Thing in accordance with applicable laws and regulations". This would be great to be able to do what we want with the device, and customize it TO THE MOON!

The community would be ever grateful..

Plus, if we have to dispose it, and there is no other alternative, I'll be shipping it to Spotify's HQ.... lol..

Jimbo.