Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Car Thing][Developer] SDK for Spotify Car Thing

Hi Team,

Car thing is very nice piece of hardware, specially the controls. I am sad to see it going away. I want to ask the team to release an SDK for it, so the homebrew developers can keep it alive for longer. Please consider it before killing the device support.

Thanks

Updated on 2022-10-31

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
giosanchez90

Please please please support this! This would be such a fun community project

Ahagenmaier

Please open this up.   Don't let these become massive waste

yngndrw

Please also release it in other regions.

isaacmejia

Please!

Yes!

dblamma

would love, love, love this to be a thing. 

Deadpool465

It's sad Spotify isn't going to be continuing with the Car Thing, but it'd be awesome if they released the SDK so we could play with it and support it as a community. There's a lot of potential to expand it's functionality with the proper tools, and I'd love to see what I could create given the chance.

Chris5185

YES please!

robertoanasr

This is a great idea, don't have the skills for it myself but it would be awesome to let others have a go. The Car Thing is a great piece of hardware!

greeninja13

I'm a software dev, I really hope this can be opened up. There are a few people already trying to crack it the hard way and they found a safe mode type thing. I understand Spotify may have to do more work in order to open it up and not provide themselves with vulnerabilities. If this goes through they won't have to worry about their remaining stock of Car Things. Maybe after the people find out what they want from it and make it do what they want Spotify can make another attempt at physical devices with all of the features users want and use.