Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Car Thing][Developer] SDK for Spotify Car Thing

Hi Team,

Car thing is very nice piece of hardware, specially the controls. I am sad to see it going away. I want to ask the team to release an SDK for it, so the homebrew developers can keep it alive for longer. Please consider it before killing the device support.

Thanks

Updated on 2022-10-31

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
ElektronikCZ

Please do it

TechnoJaguar

Yes please! 

c_slaviero

If you haven't noticed, Spotify Thing is SOOOOO MUCH MORE than just a simple interface for Spotify; it's a amazing piece of human-computer interaction interface. It has a dial a button and a touch screen that can be repurposed to so many nice things! If well repurposed, it can easily defeat a Stream Deck and similar. Can't wait to put my hand in one and have it free to explore, more than just using it with Spotify. 

My tip: opensource Thing's firmware! With the right API and interface for "non-programmers" users to use, this has an amazing potential. Seriously, do that, and you'll be selling these *Things* like water in a desert 🙂

mcjerz

I love this idea! I was not familiar with the Car Thing but it's something I would have bought and frankly even more exciting when considering having an SDK for it!

Based on the Idea Exchange Guidelines, looks like this should actually be pushed up to a Live Idea at this point- definitely more than 180 votes in fewer than 6 months!

Techno_Jim

Absolutely agreed!!!

mrbobdobolina

I have the Thing sitting on my desk, I love seeing the artwork from the playing music while I work. It would be better if I could connect it to my computer, rather than go through my phone.

But if this was really opened up...what if I could stream YouTube or Twitch to it? What if I could stream my home's webcam video to it? I love the little monitor and the controls are awesome.

Arnold8

Bump, I still think the sdk would be awesome.

ts0l

Please give us access via SDK to customize the device, given that the device has been discontinued.

niko_spot

Hi everyone 🙂 I think this should be a live idea now? 

Romankooki

The SDK will keep the car thing alive