Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Chromecast] Stream highest possible Quality to Chromecast

After casting Spotify from my iPhone or Android phone onto my new Chromecast audio device(s) I was disappointed to discover that I could not set the device to extreme quality, even though I am a premium member. It would be good to allow a default extreme quality setting on all devices used on my account or to allow setting the quality in the iOS/Android app.

Support says Spotify transcodes from their native Vorbis codec to 256kbps AAC, which further reduces audio quality, especially since Chromecast Audio seems to natively support Vorbis.  Spotify should strive to make their service use the best possible audio quality on any platform, and that doesn't seem to be the case right now with Chromecast.

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
prombo

So well said by scarbonarra.  I cant un-hear the difference either.  Spotify is so convenient when using Google Home, but I am seriously now thinking of getting Alexa just for music and opting for the Amazon Ultra service to a Firestick (though ultra hd doesn't work there, even on their own components yet either, just cd quality flac which is still so amazing!)  But again, trapped in the "casting" world with Amazon too, since of course no casting on iOS of Google Home platforms from Amazon yet.  Drats, back to another DEEZER trial for me I guess.  Spotify is the perfect example of efficiency and convenience winning over quality and the best for people.  Ah, I so miss my vinyl records now!

scarbonarra

A supposed workaround for 320 Spotify I've found in another thread, incase its useful:

"I was also disappointed by the 256 kbps streaming limit for Chromecast for Premium subscribers but found a workaround.  Play the music on the phone, which has the option of 320 kbps ('very high' streaming music quality) and then cast the phone audio via the audio mirroring option on the Chromecast/Google home app.  The sound is noticeably clearer." 

Can anyone confirm if this is legit?

wlodi

That's correct scarbonarra - I've done it before and the sound quality is noticeably better when casting your phone screen to the device.

MattJThompson

Thanks for the tip scarbonarra.

I have a Chromecast Audio connected with an optical cable to a Pioneer AV receiver. Although it doesn't show the bit rate on the receiver it does show the sampling frequency. 

When I cast to the device through the Spotify app the sampling rate shows as 44.1 kHz

When I play on my phone with streaming quality set to very high and cast the audio using the Google Home app it the sampling rate shows as 48kHz and sounds better, but it drains the phone battery.

Come on Spotify, please enable very high quality streams to Chromecast

mi6234

Bumping this in light of the lossless announcement.  Please allow Chromecast to stream lossless files once available.  

prombo

Agreed!  PLEASE Spotify, get your new HIFI lossless service to work at full quality through Chromecast and via Google Home/Nest devices directly!  

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/22/22295273/spotify-hifi-announced-lossless-streaming-hd-quality

(Also... PLEASE allow this to work as a Family Plan and not as something separate like Tidal does.)

ermesmox

I've tested various streaming services and obtaining real Hi-Fi through cast services is not so common. There are dozens of discussions with Deezer (for Chromecast) and Amazon Music (for Alexa Cast) because the actual bitrate to Chormecast built-in devices or AlexaCast 3rd party devices is not consistent with a 16bit/44khz streaming. Even if they confirm that the stream is in Hi-Fi, Sony confirmed to me that it is not (the same reported from various people using other brands). The only service with real Hi-Fi bitrate through Chormecast I've tested so far is Tidal (never tested Qobuz).
So I really hope that Spotify will support Hi-Fi through Connect (also on the "old" receivers that have Spotify Connect) AND through Chromecast built-in.

Also having OGG 320kbps on Chromecast built-in would be a great feature.

prombo

Thanks "ermesmox" for this.   I have been experimenting too recently (esp. since Deezer announced HiFi family plans) and I think you have confirmed what I thought I was hearing.  Indeed, Tidal through Chromecast seems to my ears somehow better than Deezer Hifi.  

The Connect function through Spotify is essential, but indeed I hope it goes through Chromecast eventually at HiFi fit rates, since convenience often wins, and so much easier to just ask Google to play it.

Other things I so want, in case anyone from the other companies are listening!   Tidal Connect to all their iOS and Android apps, to be able to control what is casting anywhere.  Deezer to do same for a "connect" system, and fix it so that playing a song on it just plays other similar songs after and not just by same artists.  Amazon Music to cast through Google Homes to Chromecast devices too!  I would really like to subscribe to another service than Spotify, but it just ends up winning for me all the time because of its features.  

ermesmox

@prombo

I don't think we'll ever see Amazon Music on Chromecast in Hi-Fi, since they are not even able to stream Hi-Fi through 3rd party Alexa Cast devices. I've discussed with them (and Sony) for over a month, providing logs and the proof that the bandwidth was around 300kbps only.

While Sony was asking me more and more details and really tried to find where the issue is (confirming that the issue is present with Alexa Cast even if the had just updated my soundbar model to support Alexa Cast at better quality), Amazon at some point stopped replying to me... Very disappointing.

This is why I hope in Spotify Hi-Fi service on the Sony devices that already have Sp. Connect (and a proper DAC of course), and possibly also with Chromecast built-in.

Mario
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.