Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Option to deactivate Spotify Connect

I want to have the opption to turn it off. Please fix this, i wan't to listen to music and still be online without connect starts.

Please fix this. 

Jag vill gärna kunna använda spotify på en telefon utan att den andra telefonen ska börja dra batteri för att ni kommit på denna tjänst utan en avstängningsfunktion. Då ni är Svenska som startat detta hoppas jag på att ni accepterar svensk text. Och en svensk meny till spotify hade varit trevligt. 🙂

Från en trogen användare sedan år tillbaka 🙂

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
snefferness

I almost got the police called on me thanks to Spotify Connect. 

For the record, this is not a feature I want or have ever used on purpose. If I'm having a party, maybe having the ability to turn it ON would be cool, but it should be off by default.

Here's what happened:

I was at work on a Friday afternoon and played a song from my Spotify inbox on my work laptop to show a coworker. My repeat setting is turned on (I like to listen to ambient music while I work), however, I paused the song halfway through because he wanted to show me a YouTube video instead. After finishing the video, I closed my laptop (while Spotify was still open but not playing) and little to my knowledge, somehow Spotify Connect kicked on and started playing the paused song on my iMac at home. The external speakers hooked up to my iMac were cranked to 11 from when we were at home earlier in the day.

So I went out straight from work for the night with my fiance. We got home at 1:30am to a scathing note from our downstairs neighbors taped to the door about the loud music. We figured it must have been music from our upstairs neighbors that they heard because we weren't even home. It wasn't until I went to put Netflix on the iMac and saw my Spotify play queue that I realized that the music was blasting from about 7:30pm until 1am (my iMac is set to go to sleep every night at 1am).  Our poor neighbors had to listen to blaring music from our apartment for 5 and a half hours and the worst thing is that it was the same song on repeat the entire time. As you can imagine, we were horrified and dropped off a sincere apology note wth two bottles of wine, but they haven't forgiven us yet. They also threatened to file a noise complaint with the police and notify our landlord. 

Worst ever. We now are sure to turn off the speakers before we leave the apartment in the morning, but still.

Mercive

I'm on premium account. Got battery drain issues after Spotify upgrade - sure it is related to Spotify Connect.. this feature is annoying too - I'm still losing my playlist.
I believe Spotify should add such big updates making them optional/BETA/Preview mode... and then get feedbacks if they like it or not. Otherwise you will loose all your customers. Remember - customer is a greatest asset that you have.

surgent123
This made me dislike spotify
dczlcs

Thank you Spotify for erasing the play queue on my work PC because I bought Premium... I happen to like to listen to different things at home / at work / on mobile. Apparently only Spotify Free gives me the option to do that...

chembro303

I just cancelled my Premium subscription moments ago. I had been a Premium subscriber since October of 2011. I've literally paid over $400 just for my account (and since my wife has her own Premium subscription I've actually paid Spotify closer to $700 over the years).

I had noticed that every so often, when I play a song from my phone, my desktop queue got replaced with what I'd been listening to on my phone. But I so rarely use my phone for Spotify that I just figured it was user error. When I finally discovered what was happening is called "Connect" and it's a "feature", I searched out this forum for a fix. That Spotify can look at a 16 page forum post (and I saw other related posts that were over 30 pages long) spanning well over a year, and flat ignore their users' request for such a basic thing as making "Connect" an optional feature? Unacceptable. It made me realize that they don't care about their users. So disappointing.

I've switched to Tidal for now… and hey, they even have Taylor Swift. Win-win.

If Spotify decides to get their collective heads out of their ass and make "Connect" an optional feature (either per-device or wholesale) then please, email me and I'll consider joining up again. But by that time, it may be too late. 3.5 threw years of my goodwill down the drain by ignoring the suggestions made on this post.

DudleyEscobar

Spotify Connect is the worst feature I've ever seen. The only thing it's ever accomplished for me is to interrupt my listening. I'm seriously considering switching services because of this so-called "feature".

chanimatt

I hate fiddling with this setting

nataliatafur86

this "Connect" thing makes me hate spotify, it is very annoying. please do something,  im thinking on cancel my acount...and the worst part is that most of the post Ive read are from last year so ..is this Connect thing ever gonna have a solution??

SaittaM

So tired of Spotify staff not listening to their customers, only respond with "Not Right Now" and then completly ignore the problems.  Both the android app and the PC version only gets worse and worse in my opinion. When the android app for the Apple option is released I think it's bye bye to Spotify after 4 years premium I think.

cainrandom

The Connect feature is broken.  I use Spotify from multiple desktops (and my phone).  This makes no sense:

1. Using Spotify at home.  Lock computer, leave for work.

2. Open Spotify at work, press play.  Says "Playing on home computer".

What now?  How is that helpful?  Shouldn't you assume that I'd prefer music to be playing from the desktop computer that I'm currently using rather than one that's locked, on a different subnet, and has been idle for half an hour?

For extra fun,

3. After switching the playing device to the current one, the Pause/Play toggle is broken.

The only way out of this is to make certain that I carefully exit Spotify on every computer when I'm done, which is a lot of fiddling for a music player.  Yes, the Connect feature could probably be fixed, but building in a toggle to disable this has to be dead simple.  It's flatly unacceptable that there's no way to turn this off.