[Connect] Don’t automatically sync what I am playing across Devices

Right now Spotify Connect works like this: I build my queue in the desktop client, listen to it, then want to go out and open my phone. The queue will be transfered to my phone and is gone on the computer. According to this thread: Connect suddenly changes current playlist other users are complaining about this and don't want their queue to be transfered / overwritten with another current playlist. So please implement a feature that lets my queue stay as it is and don't transfer it to a different connected device.

Updated on 2018-08-29

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

While we don't have plans for this right now, we're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the feedback here too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks!

Comments
tofujohnson
I can’t believe this is still got my on. I left Spotify more than two or three years ago and have been on Apple Music. Why? This stupid feature. That wasn’t there when I first started using it. And the frustration of not being listened to. Ignored.
Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2018-08-29

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

While we don't have plans for this right now, we're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the feedback here too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks!

axelhjq
Casual Listener

I have stopped using Spotify and am now using another service since this would still bother me a year after voting for this feature. I do miss the ability to listen to specific acts (Rammstein) which are not available on  YouTube Music, unfortunately. Please fix this error!

echosa

Please change this behavior, or at least make it optional. I listen to one playlist on my work computer and another on my gaming computer. It's quite irritating when I pause my work playlist on my work computer, listen to my gaming playlist on my gaming computer that night, then, the next day, press play expecting it to resume the work playlist where I left off, but instead it resumes the gaming playlist from my other computer. Whatever I have loaded and paused on one computer should always be what plays when I resume.

FitzChivalry
Casual Listener

Seems like fixing this "feature" is beyond the Spotify Dev team since people have been complaining for years with no resolution. Just a toggle that lets one sync or not. How freaking hard can it be? You can even bury it in the settings so only people who get really **bleep** off will find it. I want my phone and PC to be 100% disconnected. The play/pause button on my PC works just fine. I don't need a remote control for it. 

This changes the playlist I have been working through on my phone in my car, which I want to resume in my car, without having to go to my recents to find.

I am mad AND dissapointed. Shame on you for not fixing this. 

atomheart411
Music Fan

This  sort of similar to my complaint. Every morning I go to my studio, start up the desktop app on my Windows 10x64 pro computer and start a playlist. Later, in a different part of the house I pick up my iPad and want to see what is playing. The ios app isn't updated. It just shows the last tune it remembers playing or being connected to  the day before. It will show the little "devices available" notice at the bottom. So naturally I go to the connect page to re set the connection to my desktop at which point it stops playing the playlist I set up there and changes the playlist on the desktop to whatever the iPad least remembers. Basically makes connect useless at least at first because it breaks the stream, I can't see what was last playing on the desktop. If it's a radio stream I may end up listening to a bunch of tunes I already heard. Or be sitting there scrolling through trying to find out what the last tune was. The iPad app should update to what is currently playing on the desktop and not the other way around. If I want to change what's playing on the desktop let me choose to do so.

wonkothesane

Thousands of votes over many instances of this same post in the community, something that thousands of people actually want (and have for years), and yet "no plans for this right now?"

Disappointing.

damascus

As a developer myself, i know there is always another way to solve the core issue here, which is spotify wanting to lock down music playing from one device at any one time.

Which is fine, so how about a toggle on each device that called:

"Continue playing from last device" 

OR

"Keep devices in sync"

Limit to one device at one time, absolutely, but STOP FORCING THE SAME MUSIC QUEUE

My work music is VASTLY different to my excersise (on my phone), which is also vastly different to my home pc music queue.

Yet i can almost never reliably EXPLORE NEW MUSIC, since i only have the car ride home before i then immediately lose the progress since i need to play one of my playlists.

THIS IS A SIMPLE FIX, just store per-device music queue data if this option is enabled on that device.

colanutnm
Casual Listener

With the new changes coming for additional connected devices (smart speaker and tvs) and allowing for a "Favorite" device, please consider allowing to exclude a device. Podcasts will really suffer if they are interrupted half way through- if for some strange reason you decide to listen to music on a different device when company comes over (for example). With out being able to exclude devices, you will not be able to pick up where you left off.

It is bad enough when my phone hijacks my work computer's playlist.

iamben
Music Fan

I've moaned about this before, but it's worse than ever right now.

Previously I'd make sure that whenever I use spotify on my Android device (the gym), I'd force close the app. That way the playlist on my work computer never made it to my phone. This is a gross, totally hacky fix, but so be it.

Right now this doesn't seem to work anymore. I might queue up 60 songs on my work computer, I'm getting to the gym - where I want to play totally different music (working out is VERY different to working - Spotify's own playlists even reflect this, right?!) - and after the first song on my chosen album it starts playing my work playlist. So I'm manually having to go remove 60 songs from the playlist you've now put on my phone.

I don't understand how this is such an issue. Seriously. Just put some sort of a "sync playlist across devices" switch - the people that want this can have it, the ones that have different music choice for different devices, don't have to. I love Spotify, but the fact we've been moaning about this for years is a complete joke. For the love of God, sort it out.