Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Option to deactivate Spotify Connect

I want to have the opption to turn it off. Please fix this, i wan't to listen to music and still be online without connect starts.

Please fix this. 

Jag vill gärna kunna använda spotify på en telefon utan att den andra telefonen ska börja dra batteri för att ni kommit på denna tjänst utan en avstängningsfunktion. Då ni är Svenska som startat detta hoppas jag på att ni accepterar svensk text. Och en svensk meny till spotify hade varit trevligt. 🙂

Från en trogen användare sedan år tillbaka 🙂

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Jcowin35

It was suggested by one of your chat people that if I stop paying spotify I won't get spotify connect. Currently considering, plus saves me money.

edir

This feature turned on to me without asking, my phone starts showing the controls but for what, I don't need this when i'm on my desk, in front of my computer. Just draining battery for nothing usefull.

data_error

Spotify Connect causes behavior that is best unexpected and at worst very undesirable.

Anecdote: I listen to Spotify in a browser session at work. I paused music playback on the browser and opened the phone app with the sole intention of downloading a playlist for later. Spotify automatically switched to the phone as my preferred playback device and began playing music, disrupting everyone in the immediate vicinity.

Presumably this is because "Connect" assumed that I intended on listening through my phone via browser controls when I gave it no manual indication that this was my desired setup. Additionally, I had to manually change my Connect-preferred playback device for browser controls to work on my browser session, even after closing the phone app.

If Connect is still mandatorily enforced when my three-month trial ends (which I highly suspect it will, despite the outstanding longevity of and support for this suggestion by users), I'll be happy to disable its intrusive "functionality" by way of not subscribing to Spotify as a service.

---

In short, Connect enforces a potentially user-hostile playback configuration - this needs an opt-out setting under Preferences.

doublezanzo

I'm weirded out that when using the app at work, it's playing on my Sonos speakers at home. The dog doesn't appreciate it either.

Why would you build such a feature? Isn't this opening up a huge security hole for my home network?

WildElf

It's past time to make this happen. Get**bleep** together, Spotify.

WildElf

500+ votes, Spotify still doesn't care.

I pay $10 a month to have my playback manhandled by poor design. Spotify still doesn't care.

kaldrenon

I understand the use cases in which this feature is desirable (being able to control from one device while it's playing on another can be a really cool thing), but not being able to turn this off is really, really bad UX and just indefensible. Unless your codebase is garbage, this should take a dev an afternoon to do, tops.

I've considered unsubscribing because of this.

damascus

How is this still not a feature we can actually choose to disable????

I use spotify from my phone and on both work and home computers.

My driving music, my working music and my gaming music is radically different, and this feature STOPS ME being able to really DISCOVER anything, as its more often then not losing my progress on each device.

And the "Resume Playing" is useless as doesnt actually resume progress, just a link to the artist or playlist, not to where you actually were with the autoplay potentially hours after you listened to that album. Im less sure about radio, but seems the same deal there.

And if i do have a discovery mood and trawl artists or playlists, then good chance i lose my old progress entirely if i dont listen from my home computer for a bit.

It would take an afternoon or two to code the change, and win you massive points for actually listening to your users needs.

Make it an obscure hidden option, make it need to be explicitly enabled for each device, whatever - just provide it

damascus

Seriously spotify, why are we still needing to ask for you to provide an opt-out option for a potentially experience breaking feature.

It would take an afternoon or two to code the change, and win you massive points for actually listening to your users needs.

Make it an obscure hidden option, make it need to be explicitly enabled for each device, whatever - just provide it

I can’t believe this is still got my on. I left Spotify more than two or three years ago and have been on Apple Music. Why? This stupid feature. That wasn’t there when I first started using it. And the frustration of not being listened to. Ignored.