Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Option to deactivate Spotify Connect

I want to have the opption to turn it off. Please fix this, i wan't to listen to music and still be online without connect starts.

Please fix this. 

Jag vill gärna kunna använda spotify på en telefon utan att den andra telefonen ska börja dra batteri för att ni kommit på denna tjänst utan en avstängningsfunktion. Då ni är Svenska som startat detta hoppas jag på att ni accepterar svensk text. Och en svensk meny till spotify hade varit trevligt. 🙂

Från en trogen användare sedan år tillbaka 🙂

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Catakus

I'm cancelling my subscription until this is resolved, it's becoming incredibly annoying. 

- I have a bluetooth system in my car, which normally i just press "play" and it starts playing Spotify. As of last week, that button no longer works, as every time I have to then manually open the app and tell it I want the phone to play, NOT my computer (I NEVER use this function normally, but the app keeps defaulting to it). What's the point of hands free if I have to keep going and disabling this feature every time I get in my car?

- Even after turning the app off on my phone (android), it'll keep showing what song I'm playing on my computer and keep it updated with the current song, which is draining my battery. I have wifi off, too. I don't want my phone battery to drain because I want to listen to music on my computer, it doesn't make sense.

- While listening on my computer, I continually experience one of the issues mentioned throughout this thread - the song will stop playing, and switch to a song I was listening to on my phone or tablet earlier. Why do I have to keep going back and restarting songs? This also happens in reverse - While playing playlists on my phone, it sometimes will switch to music I was listening to on my computer that isn't even part of the playlist after it finishes the first song I was listening to on my phone (e.g. I start driving home from work, spotify finishes playing the song I had been listening to that morning, then starts streaming an album I had been listening to on my computer that day); now I have to go back and reselect the playlist that it should never have switched off of in the first place. 

- Slightly off topic, but also had a few instanes where songs on my offline playlists randomly get swapped with instrumental/live versions of songs; also have several tracks with annoying high-pitched scratching noises throughout the tracks that shouldn't be there.

greg2313

This is an absolute stich up. I listen to tunes on my computer all day, and everytime I get a nofication on my phone, my music stops and doesn't automatically start again. When I open up the Spotify app on either my phone or computer and click play it starts playing a completely different track. 

1) Connect shouldn't interfeere with playback on my desktop

2) It definitely shouldn't choose a different track to play when I try to start it again

3) How much battery does connect use? I think I'd rather switch it off and only use it when it is a benefit to me.

germanno

It's incredible how the guys at Spotify don't give a hoot about us.

I used to be a premium user at Rdio, but I left their service since they started to do some stupid modifications to the apps without listen the users opinions. Just like Spotify did and still doing with this "Connect" feature.

What's the problem to add a simple check box to settings menu and respect the users choice instead to greedily consume their data plans?

How much this will cost for you guys? Do you have some agreement with Telecoms to waste our data plans?

Look, I will not mention anything about the really poor user experience in all the platforms I use (OSX, Android and web).

Please, just allow us to get rid of "Connect" feature. I don't need this and seems that a lot of guys here don't need it too.

Best regards,

Germanno

Freddedonna

Brand new subscriber here, what a disapointment this "feature" is. Don't get me wrong, the functionality itself works great, but not having the option to turn it off (especially noticing this thread is over 6 months old) is ridiculous. I've currently uninstalled the application from all of my devices since I mostly use the desktop app anyway, but this is seriously making me reconsider my subscription because, and I can't believe I'm saying this, the ads were less anoying.

masterbloob

I fully understand why some people would want this feature - but I am not one of them. I like to listen to albums while I am at work, and playlists while I'm driving or at the gym.  Since I can't disable "Connect" I lose the queue of albums I had been listening to on my desktop every time I play a track on mobile.  So if I'm in the middle of an album, and I have 5 more albums waiting to be played throughout my day, then I drive up the street for lunch, when I get back to the office, my playlist from the car is now the only thing in my queue.

As a mobile app designer myself, I see no reason why a feature like this would be implemented without giving users the option to disable it.  I will be looking for another streaming service.  (I miss MOG)

portijon

Anyone else having songs play out of order because of this?  Really annoying for me, as I like listening ot albums in order, all the way through.

Snappuccino

Just had a wonderful experience in the work environment due to this. I tried to turn this option off (which I found out doesn't exist) and it alerted me that I was controlling another device. 

The two options were "Continue" or "Play Here"

I would wager that intuitively "Play Here" means play on the device in my hand. Thus, I hit continue and the music started blasting from my phone. Embarassing as hell. 

Please give us the option to turn this off. It's insane that it will force open on my phone and drain my battery.

Carina

Right now Spotify Connect works like this: I build my queue in the desktop client, listen to it, then want to go out and open my phone. The queue will be transfered to my phone and is gone on the computer. According to this thread: Connect suddenly changes current playlist other users are complaining about this and don't want their queue to be transfered / overwritten with another current playlist. So please implement a feature that lets my queue stay as it is and don't transfer it to a different connected device.

Carina
Status changed to: Up for Votes

madprof

Spotify, please make features like this OPTIONAL. It's not that hard, is it? I really enjoyed your service so far, but pushing mandatory, so called "convenience" features on users is a horrible idea and makes me seriously think about unsubscribing.