[Connect] Multiple Accounts access same Device

It would be nice if all spotify premium users on the local network could use spotify connect to stream to a client (i.e pc connected to the speakers)

Now you can stream to the client only if you are logged in with the same account on the other devices. This is not that practical since there are usually more than one spotify user/account in the same household. Especially with the new spotify family being released.

Updated on 2017-10-24

Hi folks, we're marking this as "Not Right Now" today. While yes users can change the song playing on Connect by taking over the device that's streaming, we don't have plans to multiple users control the same device via Connect. Of course if this changes we will post here first. Please continue to leave your feedback here and we'll pass it to the Connect team, thanks!

Comments
gmatty

I would be interested in this as well. It would seem that you should be able to set a device into "Appliance" mode which would allow "anyone" or "specific users" to control it. There are so many reasons for this. Especially for those who have extra android/iphones lying around from previous phone upgrades. This would be an incredible way to wire spotify into each room of the house by just reusing an old phone.

Zorbek
I upvote this feature request for the exact same reasons as everyone else on this thread. Just got myself a central sound system that every member of the household should be able to control. Pressing an "accept this device" button on the central device would be secured enough for me. With that said, a song request mechanism would be a dream come true.
Vvvbh

would like this very much!

Upvote!

mpreiss

I'm testing spotify, with premium account

Honestly, I will not buy it simple because the main reason of spotify would be to play music on HTPC with spotify installed on it via mine and my wife's phone with family spotify option.

This should be must-have

I will look for different solutions and when one day spotify create such solution - maybe I'll be back (if other solution wouldn't beat my hart in the meantime)

Simply adding multiple accounts to the spotify pc installation would do the job

marmite1

I recently upgraded to Spotify Family, to give my daughter her own account.

And today wondered why she cuoldn't use Spotify Connect to control the spotify we have running permanently on our HTPC connected to our HiFi system..

Now I know, very disappointing, I somewhat regret paying for the family account now, Spotify Connect is one of the best things about Spotify in my opinion.

I have looked at Google Music / Apple Music & Amazon Prime (which I am also a member) and if they supported a decent 'connect' feature, I would think about switching.

I also expect Spotify Family to just work with Spotify Connect, i.e. all family members could control deves in same LAN.

Sadly not :(

Please implement this.

DebrodeD

Wouldn't chromecast audio enable this? I don't have one yet, so I can't test this, but can multiple spotify accounts cast to one chromecast audio device? If that's the case, just plug the chromecast audio into your speakers or into your htpc line in.

mpreiss

Maybe chromecast audio does the job, I don't know, but

- it's available in US only (as far as I know) - believe it or not, spotify is used worldwide, I'm not in US

- why should I buy additional box to lower sound quality, why the solution is quite easy to implement? It's easier to find another software

DebrodeD

Yes, I do know that Spotify is used worldwide, but I didn't know you weren't in the US before, so thanks for enlightening me. ;) Chromecast audio is available in "17 countries" (according to them), not just the US. Also, streaming to chromecast is pulled from the cloud/from spotify directly, there is no loss in audio quality. If you can't get your hands on a chromecast, there are connected speakers and the "gramofon" that can do this as well, just look at Spotify connect's page. Regardless, has anyone tried this? I'd love to hear from someone who can confirm that this works with multiple account.

gerfried

Gramofon works perfectley with multiple accounts! Anyone in the same WiFi can use Spotify connect to stream to the Gramofon. No password whatsoever required! I've been using it for multiple months now, really happy with it. Except the boot up time which is about 2 minutes I'd guess.

DebrodeD

That's great to hear, then I assume the chromecast audio will be the same way, if not, I may have to get a gramofon :) What do you mean by bootup time? Does it take 2 minutes to start music? or just whenever it's unplugged and has to restart?