Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
PiotrDab

"Any other device" is your device - you're logged into the app and as long as the app is opened, it shows in your Connect devices list. The thing with Chromecast is that everyone in a local network can use it. You don't log in inside the Chromecast's Spotify app and make it "yours". I'm pretty sure that is the main difference.

Also, what would you like to gain by making it act as a, say, mobile app?

WHOAMI

What you would gain is the seamless integreation with the current user interface. Here is my suggestion of how it might look on a computer:

Chromecast Integration

The mobile spotify app is currently able to find chromecast devices and play music on them. This means two things:(1) playing music on chromecast is possible from spotify, (2) the problem of multiple devices accessing the same chromecast has already been adressed.
After all the chromecast is only able to play music from one source at a time, and spotify is also only able to play music from one source at a time. You are correct when you say that "You don't log in inside the Chromecast's Spotify app and make it 'yours'", but is it neccessary?

Playing music from the chromecast is currently not very different of an experience than playing music from your computer and controlling it from your phone. What I suggest is just that instead of having a new button for the chromecast, why not just add it to the list of available devices? Sure, there might be systems that will need different input in the chromecast than what a computer running spotify might need, but that is something for the front-end programmers to take care of 😃

Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2015-11-23

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉
Right now it's only possible to get it to work on Desktop with a workaround.

For paying customers an essential feature, since its advertized as a spotify capable device it should be able to be used with any spotify client.

Multiple customers allready mentioned that when these kinds of things arent implemented they will consider switching to google play music.
And to be honest im not into that idea, however its a shame spotify will lose customers over this.

WHOAMI Made a good point and it would be very nice to see a cast icon with the chromecast link.

Keeping my hopes up that this idea will be implemented quickly! Goodluck guys!

emburyheck

The work around is counter intuitive, support for casting should be integrated into the application.

Really hoping that this will be fixed.

I'm really disappointed that this isn't possible. I'll often times have my phone in a different room because it's charging, and I will be unable to stream music to my Chromecast and therefore will not be listening to Spotify and unhappy. 

Look forward to having this feature implemented.

zevious

The workaround of using mobile works, but this should just be built into the desktop app directly.

thovdb

I bought a chromecast audio to cast my desktop sound to my old (but quality) hifi in another room.

It's ridiculous my chromecast doesn't show up directly on my desktop.

I never play spotify on my mobile, always on my PC so I had to install spotify on my mobile just to get this workaround going...

update: I found out volume control doesn't work neither !

nitramwin

I was able to use my phone as an intermediary as well but come on, if it already works from the android/ iOS apps, and it actually does work from spotify desktop app, then just make it available. Thank you.

grodecki

Hugely frustrating, btu I believe this is a google API issue, not a Spotify one.