Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
tykling

I want to be able to start Spotify playing through my Chromecast from the Windows Spotify client.

At the moment I have to

- Find my tablet

- Start spotify app, select the chromecast, start playing

- I can now control Spotify (playing on the Chromecast) from my windows laptop just fine.

- I can even turn off the tablet again as soon as the Chromecast starts playing.

PLEASE fix it so I can start the chromecast playing directly from the Windows spotify client, without involving other devices.

Thank you!

pi123

PLAESE ADD THE CHROME CAST SUPPORT FOR DESKTOP SPOTIFY APPLICATION AND FIX THE PROBLEM

i have premium account on spotity , i have payed, and without a phone i can not play music on chromecast device. its so bad

pi123

i payed for preminum account and without a phone i cant play spotify con my device..its so bad. PLEASE FIX IT SOON

pi123

any news????

reinierf
This workaround is quite annoying and so is not being able to control volume from desktop. Any news on implementing this properly and in a userfriendly way?
dfasdfsdfsfas

Unbelievable that the desktop app doesn't support casting. I just bought this thing today.. And now I need to find out that spotify and/or google makes paying customers beg on a forum for something that should have been present in the first place.

I think i'll return the stupid thing and use a nice bluethooth solution instead. 

pi123
You are right!!
jhoglesr

Please fix this

pi123
Please fix .. Time passes and no fix implememted!
oryan_dunn

So odd that Spotify requires you use a phone or tablet to start casting, then you can control via the desktop app.  Obviously, you can control the chromecast via the desktop app, just add the ability to start it from the desktop app.

So frustrating I have to get my phone when I'm using my laptop.