Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
Bascule

Hi @ryanriggen - Bit shouty! 🙂 I think what we're asking for here is for it to work as expected. Not using the work-around that you mention. I recently moved from Google Play Music to Spotify (after considerable lobying from the kids! :-/) and GPM handled the Chromecasts in the house seemlessly, none of this using a phone first business! The difference, perhaps, is that GPM is a web-based application from the same company responsible for the Chromecasts, whereas Spotify on the PC is a Windows application from a third party. I wonder if the Spotify web app works any better with the Chromecast? I'll have to give that a try.

Psham2

Amazing that this feature has not been sorted yet on the desktop app . For a company this size not to be listening to their customer  needs on using their product is just daft. I'm going to cancel my subscription. Simples.

arc1969

What on earth is going on with Spotify?   They can't implement the simplest requests?  We are not asking for something radical, just make your applications do the same thing on all the platforms!    They won't put a play button in the mobile apps, but they do on desktop apps. You can see chromecasts on the mobile apps, but not on the desktop apps? Whoever is in charge of development needs firing.

emburyheck

Spotify. This suggestion is nearly two years old now. Can you please action it?

Kalleballen12

I never listen on Spotify on my olh smartphone, and it beats me that this cant be fixed. 
So many paying customers, including me, wants this. 
Im honerstly considering to cancel my supscription after so many years waiting time,

daveywave1

ttt

robert468

Dear Spotify,

I'm facing this problem as well right now and found this suggestion page.

How can this still not work? What year is it? Can you at least come up with an explanation Spotify? Since this doesn't look very difficult to implement and should be considered more as a bug-fix then a new feature.

Thanks in advance.

colinodell

It has been 710 days since we were told this was coming "in the next few weeks": https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/650114757123510273

1d334575596e8d86f138dbeac3b7fe668a25111231408bfc280aeb3aac8146a4.jpg

d_le_nen

I would consider proper chromecast control - instead of mere passing on a low quality stream from web browser - a basic feature for paid accounts. In the moment, the app is sort of unbalanced: high quality input and UI, less than perfect output channel.

Dude1893

Too bad, that Spotify does not seem to want to cooperate with hardware developers to make something happening.

No progress on Alexa or Google home. No progress on chromecast. No progress with Qalcomm Allplay...

Is there any system that is working without issues?