Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
andersonncorrea

Este recurso já existe hoje

mrstwinkle
Donde?
arc1969

@andersonncorrea    ¿Dónde? Publicar una captura de pantalla

samaero

And there's your 1000th vote...

mcih

Now, changing on chromecast is very annoying. If you can not do it natively, do a work around - let the chromecast desktop tell the spotify mobile (mobile phone) to change the device to chromecast.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2017-11-09

Hey everyone, we know this idea has grown considerably over the past year. While we still do definitely like this idea, but it isn't something that is coming soon. Please know the team behind Spotify Connect have been made aware of your votes and feedback here. Should we start working on this we will let you all know right here. Thanks!

Bascule

Baffling! 😞

But thanks @meahtenoha for the update.

wokawaka

@Meredith How can this be that hard to implement. A PC can already control a device that you start casting to from a phone. It seems it just needs to be able to discover them. I work as a developper and I know some things that seem simple really are not, but this dosen't seem like it should be super hard, and it's obviously wished for. 

d_le_nen

It may be very simple - or not so, problems do often only show up, when you embark on a project. Think of different windows versions, windows bugs & annoyances (nooo, there's no such thing, is there?) & c. And there are so many other ideas on the list. But I can only repeat, that I would just consider this as a basic feature, not as another fancy bell-and-whistle. 

Quique_S

@meahtenoha, thanks for the update. Still very dissappointed seeing such a basic, but yet so needed, issue still unresolved in what seems to be...forever!

I noticed the status change to "Not Right Now", which begs the question: what did it change from? Has it moved one step closer, or further away from getting resolved?

Please let your Spotify managers know that competition is catching up; and coincidently right now I am enjoying an alternative solution that works for me, and has has no Spotify in it!