Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
snarfbluster

Yes, we support this "chromecast" of which you speak, but no, we don't really support it. 

Thanks, but no thanks. What a crappy answer.

I was a long-time Pandora customer. I listen through my Roku at home and through my cellphone when I'm in the car. The Android app is easy enough to use that I am not risking anybody's life. 

Enticed by Spotify's greater variety, I decided to jump over. I got the Premium subscription and fired up the Roku app. Hahahahahahahaha. It's a joke! The Roku app is a very, very sick joke. If you want the nice wireless experience on your home stereo, you have to buy a Chromecast. Forget about the duplication of technology--just suck it up and buy it. So I bought it.

But when I'm at home, I usually listen to Spotify on my computer. Haaaahahahahahahahahahahaha! You can't cast from the computer to the Chromecast. You need to open up the Android app first.  HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The final nail in the coffin of this brief and not free experiment is the Android app. It's not horrible, but it's not easy to use. And really dangerous in the car. 

I just found out that Google Play Music can cast just fine to my Chromecast from, well, anywhere that I can access GPM. So I am CANCELING my Premium subscription and going somewhere else. Deezer, or GPM or maybe even back to Pandora 😛

Good luck to everybody else who is waiting on Spotify to support this ubiquitous technology. Good Luck!

Quique_S

Spotify, I think if you insist in giving these type of vague, not-helpful answers to a clearly REAL problem we, your PAYING  customers are having, you are going to pi*ss many people off like myself and remind us to swiftly abandon you. 

robaticus

Thats a beautiful update, "yeah we know you want it and we could do it but we aren't gonna because we don't really care." Thanks Spotify, you really make me want to continue to pay for your service.

TomatoJoe

Spotify team this is a big deal and it totally blows that you haven't fixed this yet.  I bought the premium service so I could cast from your desktop app, found out the phone had to get in the middle first.  Totally messes up my use case.  Time to cancel Spotify premium.

sethnl

I have this situation: I have 2 computers, one running apple, one running MS and two chromecast (not a group), one regular chromecast, one 4-k chromecast. When I want to stream the chromecasts are not available on Spotify installed on both computers. After connecting Spotify from my phone it appears on both computers immediately. Irritating. Beside this, I cannot change the volume from my PC.

Meanwhile

I don't get it...what is so hard to just drop a few lines of code in the desktop app and boom....it's done...

What your wrote above is simply just : "thanks for your comment, but not interested because we want to push spotify connect"

Why is it so hard to make it work on the desktop? An explanation for that would be nice

Spoons1

How many votes do you need? Connecting to Chromecast Audio should surely be a standard feature in the Windows Desktop App just at is in my Deezer app, my BBC iPlayer app, my TuneIn app etc. These other services work perfectly so why is it only Spotify who deem a reliable and universally accessible Chromecast connection unneccesary?

You are forcing customers to look elsewhere when they, like me, have home (or car) hifi equipment through which they'd like to use an inexpensive Chromecast Audio dongle to listen to their music.

Whilst, yes, I can connect from Android/Chrome browser, I cannot get the full experience by accessing my offline playlists this way (my Android device has insufficient storage for most of my playlists). Spotify Connect is also very unreliable with Chromecast connections - on occasions when I can connect and stream via Android/browser, the connection disappears after a few songs resulting in silence. Not great so how about a fix and the additional functionality in the desktop app please Spotify?

rheajeong

please update from spotify side! with more connected speakers (voice driven ai) i don't want to shout out every time to control the volume

SomeOldSpotifyU

VLC has just released chromecast support...
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/3.0.0.htmlSo  it should be easy to add the support in the desktop version since it seems on the previous Spotify statements it used to be "google chrome only" for the poor desktop users...

edwinservaas

Been a Spotify subscriber since 2010 and never considered moving to Google Play Music, but I do now. I'm using Chromecast throughout my home on different locations and use my Macbook and PC to control my music most of the time yet there is no way to connect easily, let alone control the volume from the app. I might just have to move on, especially after reading Spotify's supercilious answer here.