Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
sekmo33

Spotify is treating their customers like dog**bleep**. I have been using Spotify since it all begun and only once before though about leaving (when they dragged their feet for 2 years making a iPAD client)

However, what just happened now is the end. First i realized that Spotify, out of the blue terminated connect support for older devices (2014-2015 ish) Bought a NAD d7050 for the Spotify support but now thats gone (most vendors have affected products). Presented solution was to get a Chromcast Audio instead. Fair enough. Just relaized that Spotify has not botherd implementing support for chromecast in their desktop apps. And the BS reply to this "idea" is just plain insulting.

Spotifys new slogan "Spotify - Because we dont give a **bleep**!" 

mikekes

Seriously?

I know there's a lot of theories on the implementation barrier here.  If this is a problem with the hardware or api that google implements, can you let us know that so we can ask Google to unblock you?

This feature request seems too low-hanging of fruit to ignore for something so jarring to the experience.  I'm seriously thinking of ditching my google home because of this, as I mainly use it for spotify.

Swanny

To bump this up for anybody new that sees this idea: 

Chromecast does not have an official API that works on Windows, so it is not possible for Spotify on Windows to cast directly to Chromecasts/Google Home devices. This is something that Spotify and Google would need to work together to accomplish. 

The workaround is to cast first using an iPhone or Android device, then you can control it using the Devices menu on your desktop app. 

kaywhole

It seems to work flawlessly from the iphone and then from the PC but the desktop version isn't searching for devices on the network without being prompted to.

dgleeson

The spotify connect page shouldn't list a chromecast until this feature is implemented.

https://www.spotify.com/au/connect/

After using the webpage I purchased a chromecast audio on the assumption this feature exists.

very disappointing 

isleshocky77

It's a little strange that you said it would be coming in October of 2015, but in November of 2017 you say it's not something that is coming soon. Is there a reason for this that can be explained to the community?

bozarama

I totally agree. At present we can only get round this by:

1. running the Desktop standalone app first
  2. firing up the web app
  3. casting from the web app to Chromecast Audio
  4. swapping back to the desktop app & taking control from there

Phew! What a long, long way round. Must be a simpler way to do it....

atomar77

spotify seriously needs a reality check. this, let's call it 'idea', has been floating around for years, just like so many others.

Many of them aren't ideas but just basic functionality you'd expect across all platforms. Spotify is just not able to, or doesn't care to provide a seamless experience.

I've been a Spotify Premium subscriber for 6+ years. There have been some improvements here and there but most notably, existing features are being removed constantly (desktop spotify apps, lyrics, friends/messaging). Lies are being published on a regular basis (read: lyrics). Basic functionality, like casting from Windows to the same device my Android app is able to cast to is NOT working and conveniently being ignored.

Yet, there's something about Spotify that keeps me hanging on to their premium service. Get your act together Spotify, start communicating with your users, stop ignoring them, start doing what your subscriber base is asking for. Too much to ask for? If history is any indication... then perhaps it is.

realseal

I just found out you can chose casting (all google cast instances) on the webplayer now. Good start. 

Tib

Hello, 

still no update about the feature ?