Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
rtom098

Spotify and Google > WE NEED THIS

It's 2019 and I still can't cast from Windows PC to my 5 google home speakers? Thas is SOO disappointing!

surreal78

Any chance of this happening in the next decade? I have 5+ Chromecast audio devices in my home and I can only play audio on them via my iOS/Android devices, not via the OS X or Windows desktop apps. This is pretty shameful considering how the devices show up when they're actively playing music, plus it's been years that people have been requesting this feature.

I have a Spotify Family Premium plan but I would be willing to cancel it for another service that supports this feature.

lucas15

This is insane, how can it be that it has been years and this feature has not yet been implemented! Spotify, fix this and upgrade the desktop clients!!

ItzMeGeek

Hi There! Two years later. Has there been any update on this?

Gagir

Really disappointed that years later, this does not work yet!

Staff
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-12-02

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. 
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks!

mchamuty

Are you serious ???

more than 2000 likes on the issue, 15 pages of comments about how this is missing from the app, and you say "Not Right Now" ?

You do realize, that this is not a free service, but one that we pay for and expect function parity and relevant support?

This is extremely unacceptable and unprofessional of you.

rheajeong

How does one decide not right now as this seems to be outstanding feedback from community based on likes :  is it a very big challenge to implement? 

Bascule

Aw come on Spotify. A jaunty "Hey Folks" and a dismissive response of "Not Right Now", with a bit of pasted stock text feels a bit insulting after 4 years, to be completely honest. £14.99 a month.

Why? Please, just why? That's not a hypothetical why. It's an ACTUAL why.

Please can you explain (we're not stupid) why this can't be done?

Edit: What the... I just earned a 5 replies badge! A BADGE. Just a reason is all I want...

Quique_S

After such a long wait and many requests from paying customers, "Not Right Now" is an outrageous, unacceptable reply, Spotify.