Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
rbellman

I'd like to think that my suggestion of one way to do this without a google API for windows 2 months before it was released is why this finally got done. You're all welcome! 😂

spoke

Still not working here (UK) on 1.1.39.612.g1e7e78a4 - opening the devices menu just brings up the old message saying start playing somewhere else. 😪

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 21.36.50.png

henq

Regression on my end...

Spotify on Windows does not show Chromecast devices anymore, only Spotify instances. 

Anybody have similar issue?

It worked perfectly for me before, could see all my Chromecast Audios and Google Homes.

I even uninstalled Spotify completely and reinstalled, but no change.

Crazy-Maisy

My Spotify app on Win 10 shows all my devices, including google cast, like my mini and my chromecastplus.

Running this Spotify: 1.1.40.508.gd5bc2931

henq

Yeah, since yesterday it works here again. Was gone for a week or so.

pi123

With w10 I can't see my google chromecast audio.. Any idea? All updated 

henq

Mine just came back after a week or so, also fully updated.

wlodi

This is implemented on my desktop client: 1.1.44.538.g8057de92

wlodi_0-1603370215815.png

Xenia
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

spoke

Unfortunately this feature is still super flakey for me - it had been working okay for a month or two but I just got the "Start Spotify on another device and it will magically appear here" info popup instead of the list of available devices again today. Even when it was working, the connection has been pretty hit and miss, often needing to be toggled on and off between a chromecast device and the client at least once, and sometimes just stalls on "Connecting...". Cool to see progress is being made on it though!

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 18.17.10.png