Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
Archer_11

Given the commonality of Chromecast, this sounds more like a business decision more than anything else. I wonder if Google themselves are making the process difficult, they seem to be the ones with something to lose here.

alego500

I'm really let down by this. Properly better off with airplay and apple Music then...

marcello9

Just read through all of these and although there are a few useful comments, nothing is really happening right ?
So is this more about not wanting to make it work, or is it just very difficult to implement ?
I assume it is because priorities are somewhere else ?

hackel

Spotify continues to be garbage.  Over 3 years now and there's still no native casting support from the desktop app.  What a joke.  I can't imagine why anyone would pay for this service.

arc1969

I doubt it's a Google problem.  Just look at they way Spotify implements casting to devices in the Android app. You have to press the Devices Available text (not even a button!) at the bottom of the screen TWICE to get a list.  If they were to implement it properly, there would be the ubiquitous cast button like EVERY other app uses.  They just like to do it "there way", which is usually the wrong way...

tomaszguzialekl

It's 2019 and still can't stream from the desktop app... Really annoying.

stringsoffire

Still no update since 2017?

micaelr

This lack of interest by Spotify on this issue is really dissapointing

mchamuty

HOW is this still not a thing?

Jonasty7

If it works from a phone, the desktop app should have the same access options. Especially since it keeps working once connected.. This is not an option that hasn't been developed yet, steps have been taken to disable this feature.