Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
dimnls

I've been using 8tracks for music and decided to try out Spotify Premium. But the lack of Chromecast support from the Desktop player, really is a bummer and I'm starting to look back. Please implement this as the workaround is sloppy and counter intuitive.

Thanks.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2016-01-27

Hey everyone, Spotify Staff here. We definitely like this idea, but it isn't something that is coming soon. Please continue to leave your votes here and if this comes up in our pipeline I will change this to 'under consideration'. Thanks!

Disappointing.

repentsinner

@meahtenoha: Can you comment on what "soon" means in this context? At the rate at which Spotify seems to implement community suggestions, this is likely to be years. Please help us set our (low) expectations accordingly.

This thread exists on Google's product forums as well, maybe we're all just watching a battle of which company can communicate the least effectively about this. Winners: definitely not the users 😞

BWB8771

Hey Spotify Support - you already have tiny vendors supported (e.g. ROCKI, Beep, etc.) - how did Google's Chromcast Audio sneak up and surprise you folks?

To end a positive note, the multiroom mode (via phones) works beautifully. 

obcode

I definetly would love to see this feature!!! Spotify on Mac => Chromecast without my Mobile Phone.

DML71

I bought a chromecast yesterday and was disappointed to end up having to use the web player to cast instead of the dedicated player.  Not ideal. 

BWB8771

In my situation, I launch from the Chrome browser, and then pick up from my player (Spotify on my Android).

Here's more info, and even one post where Spotify supposedly told someone they only support Chromecast Audio on mobile!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Don-t-see-Chromecast-Audio-in-my-dev...

nickduddy

Is this a chromecast problem of is it that sportify didn't build it in because the focus for them is mobile? 

julienrevert

Same there, please add native support of chromecast from the desktop app in order to avoid the need of first connect chromecast from the mobile app.

Thanks.