Control volume from Android to Android with Spotify Connect

Spotify Connect is great! Since some days ago we can control the Desktop App from our mobile phone or tablet, including volume control. What's still missing is volume control from Android to Android. 

In this thread it is stated that this function already works, but I have several Android devices at home, and on none of these devices does volume control with Spotify Connect work. More people have this problem, see this thread. It does work from Android to PC, which is already great. 

I've contacted Spotify Support, and they confirmed that volume control from mobile to mobile doesn't work at the moment. 

So, the idea is:

Please implement volume control with Spotify Connect from Android to Android!

Updated: 2015-10-15

Hey folks, as this idea has reached 100 kudos we've chased an update for you all. At the moment we're marking this as 'Not Right Now' since controlling volume from Android to Android with Spotify Connect isn't currently in our pipeline. However, if this changes we will of course let you know here, thanks!

Related Ideas

Comments
Regular

I posted an idea (similar to this one) except it was closed because they said this idea was already on the threads. I want to clarify how my idea is different. (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Volume-control-for-external-devices/idc-p/1487203#M292...)

I want my PC to control the volume on my phone. For instance, if I'm doing some work in bed, but my speakers are on the other side of the room connected to my phone, I want to use Spotify on my PC to control the volume my phone outputs to the speaker. I seem not to be able to do this at the moment.

Maybe if this feature is released (android to android) it would solve this issue, because it appears the tech side is controlling volume on the mobile remotely. Corrrect me if I'm wrong please.

It's the same, but different. But the same xD It's all about controlling android volume. And it sucks that spotify haven't found the time to adress this problem. 

MrAndrew
Music Lover

Well I'm sure it's a complex technical issue regarding network security on the Android OS. It may be getting worked on, but probably a lot of their time goes into content management. (They have a rather large collection of music to manage.)

It's gotta be a device OS security thing, think about it. Making it easy to remote controll a phone would open up for so many negative aspects from hackers (both malicious and the jokers).

I mean, can you imagine turning your cell phone volume off for a business meeting or something then a bug on Spotify just starts blarring really loud explicit music? Could actually ruin lives. So it's a tough tech challenge to manage, I'm sure.

Regular

Well I'm sure it's a complex technical issue regarding network security on the Android OS. It may be getting worked on, but probably a lot of their time goes into content management. (They have a rather large collection of music to manage.)

It's gotta be a device OS security thing, think about it. Making it easy to remote controll a phone would open up for so many negative aspects from hackers (both malicious and the jokers).

I mean, can you imagine turning your cell phone volume off for a business meeting or something then a bug on Spotify just starts blarring really loud explicit music? Could actually ruin lives. So it's a tough tech challenge to manage, I'm sure.

There are plenty of apps, which already remotely change system settings over the internet and they haven't been attacted/breached yet. 

MrAndrew
Music Lover
You should find one that does it for volume on android, then send the
source code to Spotify then. That might help solve this issue faster haha :)
MrAndrew
Music Lover
You should find one that does it for volume on android, then send the
source code to Spotify then. That might help solve this issue faster haha :)
gedankeninsel
Regular

why not in your pipeline ?   SpotyConnect is only half useable without volume control

Kalmora
Singer

I would be very pleased, if this basic feature would be implemented. I use an old Android as a jukebox, but as I've Spotify installed on my PC, notebook and my current Android, I can do everything remote BUT to control the volume. That's a little but annoying.

Kalmora
Singer

Regarind the complex technical issue: Spotify on PC does NOT change the PC volume, but the Spotify volume. So why not implement it similar on Android and iOS?

Kalmora
Singer

Also it looks like, at least in case of Android any app can ajust the volume. For example the App "App Volume Control" can do this, so it shouldn't be impossible to implement this, and it should require special device rights, I guess.

LKCHR
Regular

Just changed from Tidal to Spotify - the connect feature being one of the reasons. I'm astonished to learn, that remote volume control is not yet implemented. Makes connect rather useless for me :-(