Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

DJ interactivity - Thumbs up/thumbs down to influence the AIs algorithm

I would love to see more interactivity with the DJ.

For about 2 weeks straight the DJ was just playing different types of metal for me and while I enjoy that I listen all day at work and I need a change of pace throughout the days

If I "like" a song it gets added to my liked song list and sometime I would just like to provide feedback directly to the AI like a "Great song choice, play some more like this" instead of pressing the AI button and making it 'Switch it up a bit' by playing some more metal
to implement this a simple thumbs up/ thumbs down icon that only influences the AIs algorithm would be all you need.  It could even be built upon more buy a double thumbs up/down to indicate I really like/dislike this band or song but I like the genre.  The reason for this is sometimes I get a song that I am really enjoying a lot and the very next song just doesn't hit for me.  I don't want to hit the button and bring the AI in to change it up because im liking the genre but not that song.  while you could argue that skipping the song works that way maybe im skipping a song that I dont like at that time but its still a good song, I still want to hear it just not now. 

having a little more influence over the AI would be greatly appreciated.  I typically listen to it all day, but when all it offers me is metal, and im wanting some rock, pop, EDM, dance, 80 rock, or indie I have to go out and search playlists for music. 

I feel implementing a simple thumbs up/down would be much more beneficial to the User, the AI, and Spotify as a whole to help the AI learn individual preferences, and more capable of getting you the right song at the right time

Updated on 2023-07-19

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Eni
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-05-03

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

amkalil

I came here to the Ideas page for the first time to make a post just like this. I agree with every point is this idea!

Aethelstan

Definitely needs something like this - I listen to ambient music a lot to help relax, but I don't want to hear it when I'm out and about or driving. 

A way to exclude certain genres from the AI DJ's selections would be useful, too!

Delmar

I would recommend a “keep it going” button or some such, direction to stay with the current genre/mix area.

bhere1

I google this exact request today.

The DJ is freakishly good but sometimes goes off the rails.  Clicking his icon gets him back on track but I'd like a "good boy" button to offer a reward too.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2023-07-19

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Gensouplat

I've been using the DJ both on Desktop and Mobile as a way to discover new music for the genres I am interested in. However, there are times where the items being recommended do not apply to the user.

For example, I am not interested in Hip Hop, yet the DJ insists I love it and listen to it all the time and will try and play it no matter how many times I press the DJ button, despite not having listened to such songs nor have them in any playlist. Or certain super-specific genres not seemingly related to my personal tastes.

There should be an option or button to disregard, or stop recommending certain genres or songs that a listener does not like, or would never listen to. 

DadOfSeven

I'd like to be able to tell the AI DJ to never play certain music.. I NEVER listen to Country music.. and the second set of songs it chose for me started with Country music! I was very disappointed and frustrated. How did it even select that when I have NEVER listened to that artist? ... So, not just a "thumbs down", but a barf emoji would've helped.

tenfortyeight

This is a really good idea! I'd also like to improve it by suggesting to make it even more "radio-like" so you not only get the "waves" of ups and downs in the suggestion (which is really important for all day playing), but still keep a bit of track of current music style so it's jumping from Slayer to David Guetta. That jump is hard to take...

The other part being making it more like the "Presenter" is more radio-like and not repeating the same sentences over and over every day. Imagine if I could choose a style which could mimic that on Queens of the stone age - Songs for the deaf. Depending on style of music different radio styles matching the music style.

Themightytim

I believe this request needs to go a little deeper. Until the AI DJ can recognize my trends (perhaps these trends are based off the time of day/day of week), It needs some sort of prompt. Once prompted DJ should really try to stay in that genre until prompted otherwise. 

"DJ, listen to music I can focus to" - plays the ambient music I like
"DJ, listen to workout music" - plays high energy, fast paced I like
"DJ, listen to party music appropriate for all ages" - possibly could use the community party music to determine an appropriate playlist. Possible variations would be "Adult party music, 90's party music, etc.
"DJ, listen to driving music" - also a good opportunity to include the blend feature. 
"DJ, play something you think I might like" - gives DJ free reign to recommend and jump genres.

At some point I would hope that DJ will recognize that I wake up early every day and listen to calm music for an hour, then switch gears to ambient music while I work, and more aggressive music later in the day. Until then, the DJ really needs a prompt.