Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] DJ Version of Spotify

I'm a DJ. I want a DJ interface for Spotify, where I can play two tracks at once over the top of each other. 

It doesn't have to be anything complex -- just two tracks and a crossfader would do the job. But if you fancy adding things like waveforms, pitch-shifting, and other functionality, that would be lovely too.

Updated on 2019-04-08

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

After speaking to the right teams, we're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

As flagged in the last status update, our friends at Algoriddim have an app called djay that allows you to mix tracks using Spotify. You can check out details about djay here.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
sebban93557

It has arrived now 🙂 I got a pleasent suprise when opening app store today. Newly released Djay Pro is exactly what I wanted. Demo available for those who are unsure. 

monkey0815

https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-mac

here you go fellas

graemelyall

monkey0815 - we need a PC solution.

wesarnold

The djay app is amazing. I've used it on iPad. However, I don't know that Algoriddim has any plans to port the app to PC. Yes, it's on Android, but there's only 1 controller that looks to work with it on Android and it's $599. Pro Dj's aren't going to deal with this level of app - and bedroom DJ's (like myself) aren't dropping that kind of cash. Would be amazing if Spotify could partner with a company who's doing Windows too - or someone who'll go across all platforms. 

tbrown90

I believe Spotify could come out with a side version of the Desktop version aforementioned, one with simple tools crossfader, pitch control, maybe a couple FX, and the ability to have two tracks, and listen to one in head phones while another plays via speakers. 

I personally would imagine there is a way to connect with a company like Tractor to possibly run the platform, and Spotify just needs to find a way to connect Spotify tracks to existing DJ software. 

Spotify could charge extra for the service allowing DJ's to access their music catalogs, then just connect the two applications to access one another.

DJFonix

As a true turntablist and DJ for 15+ years covering 1,500+ events, Spotify became a great app to use to make play list for our events using our local files.  When Spotify first came out, our team at Fonix Entertainment contacted a customer sales rep that said at the time this was a gray area and recommended not to use Spotify for DJ purposes per copyright and RIAA compliance.  This was no problemo as we were able to SEARCH our local files, set to offline on our mobile devices with Spotify Premium, and play the tracks legally (no duplicates) at the events.  Recently Spotify took away the search feature of local files (putting us in a position of using content on Spotify) which to us is considered LEGAL, but this statement doesnt make sense if DJay 2 is out, exclusive to apple, giving DJ's the ability to SELL THEIR SERVICES WITHOUT ACTUALLY OWNING THE MUSIC!  Whats the purpose of purchasing music and royalties?  I bring this up since many DJ's with more than 5 years experience would trust streaming music with a stick.  Plus it was frowned upon.  My take is Spotify needs to focus on the player as much as they focus on the artist.  Player meaning means of playing the music because Spotify is enabling bedroom DJ's to portray professional DJ's which in the long run will only question Spotify's legal pressure from the labels.  A DJ version should have just as much focus on the music owned by the subsriber/local files as it does to introduce new music and upcharge a premium for mixing capability (not just $2.99 app).  Removing the search on local files was a real killer and based on the threads I hope it comes back so we can search our 500,000 music library vs. using itunes.  Serato platforms dont work as well on mobile devices so Spotify, here;s your chance!

graemelyall

I am another bedroom DJ, and it just makes a lot of fun to play music in this way.   Did for years with records.  Spotify has my loyalty anyway but this would be a bonus, on PC.

dj_miikaz

UNFORTUNATELY its ILLEGAL to play music from spotify in PUPLIC PLACE'S fexample: Bars, Clubs, Markets, IN FINLANDat least. You can play music from anywhere in private places. SO YOU CANT  use straitplay apllications, like youtube or spotify in your gig, less people controls that, but iam dj and if i see someone playing from straitplay apllications in his gig, i will contact authorities and tell this person name to them, this person will get possibly jail and lose his ALL dj softwares to the goverment, and gets BIG fine too. why i would do act like this, because i buy songs LEGAL in internet stores, so i have to pay over hundreds in year for songs! and DJ Premission is over 200e/year

If you buy songs from spotify, you can play those songs in your gig. THIS IS LAW REALLY!

The_Scientist

Yeah but that isn't the question this thread is about is it?  We're talking about the need for a pc program to dj with that integrates with Spotify.  How and where people use it is up to them.  If its illegal as you say, then it must be illegal for MAC users too? Yet they have a program to play and DJ it through....

twentycen

Totally agree with this thread, I have the android version on my tablet but it needs to go PC platform so we can hook up our midi controllers!! .... patiently waiting! !!!