Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] DJ Version of Spotify

I'm a DJ. I want a DJ interface for Spotify, where I can play two tracks at once over the top of each other. 

It doesn't have to be anything complex -- just two tracks and a crossfader would do the job. But if you fancy adding things like waveforms, pitch-shifting, and other functionality, that would be lovely too.

Updated on 2019-04-08

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

After speaking to the right teams, we're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

As flagged in the last status update, our friends at Algoriddim have an app called djay that allows you to mix tracks using Spotify. You can check out details about djay here.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
David

This would certainly be good for budding DJ's working up their practice. I've played around with Tracktor and, as fun as it is, if you have a song in your head you don't have access to try, it's difficult to try. 

However, due to the primary nature of DJ'ing (playing for other people) is not allowed under the present Spotify terms and conditions. A Sounddrop-esque app allowing a DJ mix control might be cool though...

rad_ryan

I always find myself acting as a "DJ" at parties and I use Spotify. I love Queue-ing songs on the list, but I always wanted to use Spotify with a DJ-ing program like Virtual DJ. 

Perhaps there can be a DJ app created on Spotify? Or better yet, does anyone have a great idea on how to use Spotify with a DJ program that's out there?

Thanks!

DavidVillegas

These days most club dj's are mixing purely off software and using controllers to do any "mixing" regardless of how far we are going from "real" djing as some may say, Regardless it is the way we are heading. So what about allowing your traktor or serato  to go into your spotify or letting you search based on BPM's? also what about a little bump in quality for the mobile to atleast 320? 

Shelveen

I want to be able to download the Spotify music and use it in the DJ Software such as Virtual DJ or something

Any ideas?

enikoltsios

This would be awsome! I've been waiting for this since i first started using spotify back in the beggining of 2011

mdanielson007

How about Pitch Control of playback? Every one is a DJ and without Pitch control, we can't beat match our favorite tunes...

Radian

Great! We have crossfade for queued tracks so we can make seamless mixtapes ahead of time.

Now, what would be fantastic is if we could initiate a crossfade form any payback position in one track to the start of another. This would always be my preferred way of skipping out of one track to another (rather than an abrubt cutoff) but it would also be nice for the DJ's in us to do some live mixing

fisque

I was actually suprised this funktion was'nt available in yesterdays update. Since half the work is already done i hope this will be easy to implement and therefore be implemented soon. When listening to music on a saturday night with friends i often find myself only listening to 2/3 of most songs, and it always kills the mood when the music goes silent even for only one second.

Kudos for listening to us users and implement the current crossfade function, still appreciate it even thou i'd like to be able to initiate crossfade on demand!

StevenR

I also expected that the update would include this function, as crossfade is described in the blog as "fading out one song as you bring another in" which implies the crossfade is on demand rather than at the end of the track.

Radian

It could be as simple (for the user) as prematurely starting the crossfade with a click on the  >>|  button when track(s) are queued. This would work well with a playlist that had been queued-up for a party mix-tape, when things need to be moved on a bit. Like fisque said above, it spoils the mood otherwise. Smiley Sad