[Desktop] Accessibility for blind and low Vision Users

We've reach mid 2017 and still the Windows and Mac versions of Spotify are not even usable to blind users. Now that Apple Music has arrived I think it is time to push accessibility to the top of the list. I've seen lots of posts from other people being closed due to lack of kudos. Really? Accessibility is a right, not a social thing.

I ask the Spotify dev team to implement accessibility for screen reader users in both Windows and Mac platforms

Comments
Jayb72
Community Legend
As a disabled user with mobility and coordination issues, the addition of accessible screen reader features would benefit! It is a very well documented fact that depression and other mental health issues accompany most disabilities and music is often great therapy so being able to access it easily is really a must.
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated: 2016-04-05

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

victorman95
Casual Listener

We can add support usage for low vision people linking VoiceOver(Apple), TalkBack(Android), Windows/ Windows Phone (Accessibility).

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2016-06-27

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search. This is a reopening of the following inactive idea.

salihkn

Hey!

I've been sending requests via email and Twitter mentioning about Accessibility of Spotify but the response is always the same asking me to post an idea here, so here it is.

I'm an all time Spotify user having the app on my iPhone, iPod and Windows PC, but guess what! I'm using a screen reader and some aspects of the Spotify app is hard to manage for me.

Accessibility is a must and it should be consistent. There were some works to make the Windows version more accessible, but it has gone further from being accessible for screen reader use with more updates.

My observations

1. Windows

Tested with NVDA and JAWS screen readers

- Navigating with keyboard for sure, Pressing enter on a playlist doesn't always bring up the songs. It stays in the same window showing the list of playlists.

- When the song list is presented, the focus should automatically move to the pop-up menu after pressing the application key to open the context menu. This menu as you know, includes: Copy the url to the klipboard, Go to artist, Start radio, Add to a playlist etc. When I bring up the menu by pressing application, I should go to the end of the page by navigating with keyboard and find the item I like. Pressing enter to one of this items is also not always working as I mentioned above.

- Correct labels for checkboxes in the settings screen: The screen reader reads the previous settings item's name for the next checkbox, and it can't properly announce the check box state to hear whether it's checked or not checked. E.g When I'm focused on "show friends feed" checkbox, the screen reader read's the next settings item and so on.

2. iOS

- - In a large list of songs, VoiceOver focus doesn't always go to the song I'd like to play. It simply plays the previous song, or it doesn't play any song after double click.

3. Android

- There are numerous unlabeled buttons in the llockscreen player, and the controls in the notification bar. When the buttons are unlabeled, TalkBack can't really tell what those buttons do, and pronounce random numbers instead. All you have to do is defining a text description for those buttons. Making this won't change anything about visualisation.

4. The response I got from the devs of screen readers

- JAWS for Winndows:

"Please contact Spotify to make this changes"

NVDA:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6958

Finall words:

It's enough waiting and trying to raise awareness as I tried in many ways. Hoping a quick fix to enjoy the Spotify experience to the fullest. Why should I miss something just because I'm blind

I'll be more than happy to assist with my furder feedback only if you ever dare to decide to do something.?

Regards.

salihkn

Hello, it's me again!

Once again, each new update of Spotify is getting more inaccessible. The issues are increasing.

iOS: Spotify 8

In addition to the issues I mentioned in my previous post: 1. Like and dislike buttons are unlabeled within an artist, playlist or song radio.
2. The buttons are unlabeled for like and dislike in daily mix.

Windows Spotify 1.50:

In addition to the issues I mentioned in my previous post: Bringing up the pop-up menu and clicking share track, the check boxes like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr are not visible to screen readers...

Waiting for accessibility fixes while seing the app getting worse in every platform, makes me more hopeless.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2017-06-20

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Fernamac

It’s  a really good petition 😍

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2017-08-18

Marked as new idea. This is a repost of the following inactive idea.

papabayj

I completely agree with this. There's no excuse to continue creating a divide for users impaired in sight or hearing. Big ups on posting this idea. I can't kudo it enough