[Desktop] Accessibility for blind and low Vision Users

We've reach mid 2017 and still the Windows and Mac versions of Spotify are not even usable to blind users. Now that Apple Music has arrived I think it is time to push accessibility to the top of the list. I've seen lots of posts from other people being closed due to lack of kudos. Really? Accessibility is a right, not a social thing.

I ask the Spotify dev team to implement accessibility for screen reader users in both Windows and Mac platforms

Comments
johnburling

Hi

I think Spotify's great, and I've just upgraded from Free to Unlimited. But as someone who's blind, and accesses the Spotify client using assistive technology, I have a few problems, and it would be brilliant if some of these could be addressed for future releases.

Here are a few examples:

The shortcut key Alt-Shift-Enter (open the album containing the current track) no longer works. This was so much quicker for me than having to click the album title with the mouse, which is quite hit and miss.

There's no way of moving backwards and forwards within a track, via the keyboard.

Accessing collateral material such as biographies is difficult.

Logging in is difficult.

Updating preferences is difficult.

Detecting an error or announcement message on the screen is difficult, eg, one saying that a new version of Spotify is available to install.

There are probably other facilities I don't even know about. But the main thing is to make the basics of searching for and playing/navigating music easier when using a screenreader and a keyboard.

I'll be very happy to provide further info if required, or act as a guineapig to test any changes. Meanwhile, thanks for a fantastic product, and keep up the great work.

John

Edit: Changed "Windows" to "Desktop" to get the Mac users in here too. ;) (Premify)

brian_ls

I totally agree - Thanks for the great app.  Just observing the app, it seems like there are a number of lists and probably trees that would be great if I could navigate using arrows and tab keys.  I'm sure there are parts of the app that I'm not even aware of because they can't be discerned just by looking at the text in the app window.

kevin-lonergan

HI John

Did you get anywhere with this - Do any screen readers work with Spotify or has anything been done

Kevin - -snip-

[Edit: took out email address]

kevinlonergan

Thanks John

Lets keep trying, Spotify are missing the point and I'm sure it would not be rockets science to the developers to work with a group of blind and visually impaired people

Kevin

kevinlonergan

Help Blind people enjoy music by writing scripts that allow screen readers to be compatible

Wes765

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope this is the right place.

I use Voiceover on the Mac.

The MAc Spotify app isn't accessible using Voiceover at all.

I can use the phone app, although the "What's new" tab only says button when trying to read the new releases.

Can this be fixed?  The desktop app and the phone app.

Thanks!!!!

WebWusel

i am also a voice over user with the Mac OS X. Please make spotify accessible for blind mac user.

Phrequency

Hello,

I too am quite disappointed in the accessibility (or lack there of) in the desktop clients. It's been over a year since I last installed the client to see how accessible it was, and now it seems to be even worse. I can kind of access it on the desktop using play.spotify.com, but that's just a workaround for something that I honestly thought would be addressed at least slightly.

I currently have a 30 day trial of premium that I'll probably end up canceling, as I don't want to have to grab my phone just to listen to music. Please consider making either an alternate screen reader mode, or alternate Mac and Windows clients without all the eye candy using standard UI controls.

cansino21
Casual Listener

Here is another blind user asking for accessibility, or maybe equality.

cansino21
Casual Listener

The latest Mac update breaks even more the already limited accessibility. Users could use the following Apple Script to force a poor accessibility mode that has been broken. The layout is similar as the Spotify web playee.

do shell script "/Applications/Spotify.app/Contents/MacOS/Spotify --force-renderer-accessibility > /dev/null 2>&1 &"