[Desktop] Accessibility for blind and low Vision Users

We've reach mid 2017 and still the Windows and Mac versions of Spotify are not even usable to blind users. Now that Apple Music has arrived I think it is time to push accessibility to the top of the list. I've seen lots of posts from other people being closed due to lack of kudos. Really? Accessibility is a right, not a social thing.

I ask the Spotify dev team to implement accessibility for screen reader users in both Windows and Mac platforms

Comments
Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2018-08-15

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea again, in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Idea

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Idea

dm_md
Casual Listener

I understand that previous requests for improved accessibility, including Apple iOS VoiceOver support, did not gain enough kudos to stay active. Please know that the lack of accessibility of the Spotify platform as well as the delays in technology education among those disabled have made it difficult for the idea to gain popularity.

Most importantly, as this is a concept of fundamental and functional accessibility, rather than feature refinements, it should be addressed regardless of votes/kudos. Important features to improve accessibility should not rely on popularity metrics. After all, people with visual impairments still have functional ears to appreciate music. If anything, music becomes a more important part of their lives given the loss of such a valuable sense like vision.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all I wanted to make you aware we are merging these two threads together, including the votes so we have the full history of comments/ support for this since 2012.

Atom-x

Hello,

Some releases ago, the "context menu" and "add to Playlist"  I've mentionned previously were brought back. Thanks for this.

Two other glitches I can think off, in the IOS app:

- It's a pain to delete a track in a playlist using VoiceOver.  Let's say we're listening to a track and we would like to delete it. We have to get into the "context menu" of the playlist, then find the Edit or (modify in French) button, then manage to go back to the song we want to delete and then use the actions menu of the rotor to delete it. It's kinda cumbersome. Moreover, we can't preview or listen to a song in editing mode. So, could you please add a delete action in the context menu of each track while browsing a playlist or even better, add a delete action in the VoiceOver rotor for each track.

- One more thing: While browsing a playlist created by "spotycharts", for example, Top 50 tracks in France, when we flick right to listen to songs one by one, we have 1, 2, 3, 4, and the next flicking gesture jumps randomly to the track 23, or 41 or so on. It's really uncomfortable and it's tedious to come back to the song we were on. Could you please look into this? All these corrections will definitely improve our music listening / discovering experience on Spotify!

Thanks and all the Best,

Sof