Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments
Luan
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-11-12

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

kadettje

I hope this is already in the works 🙂

csan99

Please support for Apple Silicon that we can continue to use Spotify. 🙏🙏

jpgoff

If Google can make an ARM64 version of Chrome, I know y’all will optimize Spotify for Apple Silicon. Please prioritize!

wiesson

Or allow us to use the iPad version 🙂

TetraVaal

To be fair the Rosetta 2 version is working perfectly fine now. It's not like the app is incompatible with the M1 Macs. I'm sure a Universal version is in the works.

I wonder if Spotify could reuse some of the iOS / iPad OS code in the desktop app.

DinilJ007

I honestly hope they get a native app running soon, I disagree with TetraVaal because Spotify constantly crashes for me on my M1 MacBook Pro!

stogdan

I think it is likely that they already have a Universal application in the works, however if not I hope this idea will give them the attention they need. My experience is that native apps is also far less resource hungry than non-native apps running through Rosetta 2. Important for devices like MacBook Air /Pro M1 to optimize battery life.

telo123

Things like this shouldn't even require a vote. It should already be happening, regardless of the drama happening between Spotify and other companies against Apple. 

Did Microsoft ask for a vote before releasing a beta for Office? Did Adobe ask for a vote for their apps? Did Blizzard require a vote for WoW native support? Did Pandora ask for a vote to natively support HomePod? I can go on and on.

Spotify is a multi-billion dollar company and when comparing to the aforementioned companies who run much more complicated and demanding apps, Spotify is so infuriatingly damn slow in implementing ideas and require a vote for it to be even be discussed with the developers? Took a significant amount of time for them to even implement Apple Watch streaming.

- rant over.

stogdan

I agree with telo123, I would imagine that it is significantly harder to port a large and also old suite of applications like MS Office to Apple Silicon than a single standalone app like Spotify.