[Desktop] Allow an optional switch between desktop and web player look on desktop app

Basically, a few people got forced to switch to the web player for some kind of A/B test. Here are the disadvantages of the web player:

It is impossible to see the friends that you are following, follow any non artist profiles, to change the playlist image, search for a song within a playlist, or sort playlist by filters such as: date added; song length; artist name; or album name. It is also impossible to see an album on an artist's page after you click on the album. Here's video proof of that. https://streamable.com/rs9m2. Also now it doesn't show you the correct labels, and says stuff like navbar.search and artist.monthly-listeners-count instead.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.13.57 PM.png

I want to be able to switch back to the desktop version. I've logged in on a different account on my desktop app and desktop version loads. When I log in on my account, the web version loads. Here's a screenshot for yall who don't believe me.

Please let me have the desktop player back. I love Spotify, have had an account for years, and this has been very frustrating.

Updated on 2020-11-16

This test will resume for some users from today. We're marking this Idea as "Not Right Now" as there won't be an option to switch back to Classic. The team have worked hard to bring back the features that were not available when the test previously ran earlier this year. If you are on the test, we'd love to hear your feedback in this thread:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/New-Desktop-Experience-your-feedback-wanted/m-p/507...

Comments
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-04-29

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Regular

Another important disadvantage of this is the removal of the "Local Files" option. This is an incredible tool that allows any users to import music that isn't already on spotify, from their computer. Exactly like iTunes' function of adding songs from your desktop to the program. This is heartbreaking because now all of the music I listen to is gone. What's the point of using this app if the music I like isn't there? Big poopoo

This change has made me want to switch to apple music. customization is sooooo much part of the fun

Casual Listener

I complete agree with the last three comments: removal of sorting playlist, removal of playcount & removal of local files makes me wants to switch to an alternative platform as well as promising updates for years such as lyrics and OLed.

Roadie
Visitor

I don't appreciate being forced to test new features without being asked. There is no LOCAL FILES option in this version of the app and this was one of the reason why I came to spotify. If you guys are removing that feature then I'm going to Apple Music.

Music Fan

Glad to see that it’s more than just me and @mcoutlook that aren’t too happy about this. Its been this way for a couple months now but it looks like they’re still doing it...

Regular

I don't want the web app anywhere near my desktop app. The desktop app has so many great features this will nuke. Spotify's web app sucks and is something they should feel ashamed of. If they do this-force me to use it-I'm going back to Pandora. Spotify is screwing over not only its users but the people who provide them music, too. Every musician on Spotify should protest this. 

Roadie

hey @jjonnn how's it going. yeah i'm also glad that is is getting more reach now. i think it's 2 months now since this started. it's just disappointing at this point and i really don't know what they are thinking...

Regular

Honestly, I doubt this will get changed or fixed. There's some ideas with almost 1k votes, yet nothing has been done. Spotify is just lazy and don't care for their customers.