Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Bring back Lyrics

Allow me to re-edit again, in premise, that thanks to all of you this idea keeps receiving votes, and I am grateful to each of you, and when I expressed this desire as an idea I was a newbie, I owe to the professionality of Marco and Toku, whom I thank again, that I became aware that this idea it’s by no means new, nor even mine but Spotify’s, yet it is properly expressed, and it is shared by enough Community members for it to be still alive, and I agree with Arcanscape that, "We really need the lyrics feature", and I just notice an excellent temporary alternative of “SpotifyLyrics” kindly programmed and provided by Mirth (fr31): https://github.com/fr31/spotifylyrics/releases (via scoobyTdog), it works very well on my Pc 🙂 and I invite you all to try it.

Whilst singing might be fun, I have another approach to lyrics and sound, which is of course not mutually exclusive, and I read the words to see if I like them as I enjoy the melody, if I see myself in the lyrics, if I share the values expressed, and this is easier by having the words at hand.

So please Spotify bring back the Lyrics Feature most elegantly -- as you did with restyling the Community -- when you find a better Lyrics Provider.

Reading and listening might be even better than karaoke, although not as fun 😉

and every member could always do both, even just singing, as a very close person in my family does, and many other people do.

Thank you for evaluating, with my warmest and most sincere Regards.

Marco, a poet at heart

Updated on 2021-11-18

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback on the Lyrics feature. We’ve heard you and we’re happy to announce Lyrics are here!

You can find Lyrics on Free and Premium for users across iOS and Android devices, desktop, gaming consoles, and TV.

To learn more about the roll out and how to access lyrics, view this announcement.

Cheers!

Comments
KnightlySpartan

The last update was from 2016.

All the other streaming platform have full Lyrics support.

Staff
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2019-09-20

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks

Barbok

Thanks for finally updating it, but cmon guys you are already partnered up with Genius for the behind the lyrics function and it has been over 3 years, it's time to get it back in, not to forget how it was promised to "be back shortly" in the original response back when you guys broke up with musixmatch.

I don't consider almost 4 years to be being back shortly.

Spaceboy88

And come on, the Genius partneship is trash. What good is getting 1/4th the lyrics for a song and a bunch of random facts? If I want the facts, I'll go to Genius.com to view them. I want the WORDS! If you want to include the facts, let us tap into them to see them, but every other major platform gives full lyrics except you guys.

frisnit

I appreciate the response but given the original post was over 3 years ago, has been commented on constantly and other music streaming platforms have since added lyrics support, it very much reads like "Wow 100+pages of comments, keep up the good work. We'll update you again when we reach 200 pages".

There's enough people been begging, threatening and asking over the years, for this to have been taken seriously by the internal teams. If we were asking for a new feature it might be understandable, although 3 years would still be a long time, but we're asking for a replacement for a feature that was removed!

Scrupulous

Really don't think they care guys. Truly obvious to the most casual observer.

chrisfoxbangkok

Also lyrics please for other languages such as Mandarin.

I'm immersing myself in Mandarin and it's almost impossible to find lyrics as we're not even able to select, copy and past the artist and title. Writing them in a search is difficult as they are in Mandaring.
Mandarin lyrics (similar to Shazam sometimes) would be such as extra incentive for people to install Spotify as Mandarin will become the most learned new language of the forseeable future.

stumpapi

I agree, it seems like no one really cares since this thread drags on and on. I know for me it is really troubling. I really can't afford two subscriptions. I really prefer Spotify over Apple Music but as long as we have the integration for those in the Apple ecosystem it is a real advantage. And the new live lyrics feature added to Apple Music is really well done. Spotify is working with Apple SiriKit to add some better integration but it is still in Beta. 

I keep hoping for a similar live lyrics feature in Spotify and also a desktop min-player of sorts. Guess I keep waiting. 

nikhil4life

Is the spotify team **bleep**ed? Which music app doesn't have lyrics ? The idiots sitting in the office Do not realize its importance?? You want us to vote for this ??

Are you trying to kill your own company ? Because it surely looks like that.

The entire product team  needs to be fired for this bs. Why the **bleep** is genius talking irrelevant stuff when I'm trying to read the lyrics? Is this your sloppy implementation of what you call lyrics? Why can I not disable this ?I hate genius as well because of this implementation.

We as customers have tried our best to convince the thick skull of yours to implement lyrics, like every other app in the universe. Seriously.  Wake up. Stop fooling around or you won't be around for long.  There is a limit to which we can keep quiet and deal with your mediocrity.

You're already losing your stronghold in the music app business. Make sure you dont lose your relevance as well.

Ive spent 5 minutes of my time writing this, because I've been using spotify and I care.

Take the advice or continue fooling around to irrelevance. Your call.

futandrew

Apple Music supports lyrics recently. And it's soooo cool on iphones. I truly hope Spotify could support lyrics both on desktops and cellphones!!! Lyrics are TRULY important to me! It's soooo hard to transfer my liked music to apple, or I will definitely transfer to apple music.