Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Bring back Lyrics

Allow me to re-edit again, in premise, that thanks to all of you this idea keeps receiving votes, and I am grateful to each of you, and when I expressed this desire as an idea I was a newbie, I owe to the professionality of Marco and Toku, whom I thank again, that I became aware that this idea it’s by no means new, nor even mine but Spotify’s, yet it is properly expressed, and it is shared by enough Community members for it to be still alive, and I agree with Arcanscape that, "We really need the lyrics feature", and I just notice an excellent temporary alternative of “SpotifyLyrics” kindly programmed and provided by Mirth (fr31): https://github.com/fr31/spotifylyrics/releases (via scoobyTdog), it works very well on my Pc 🙂 and I invite you all to try it.

Whilst singing might be fun, I have another approach to lyrics and sound, which is of course not mutually exclusive, and I read the words to see if I like them as I enjoy the melody, if I see myself in the lyrics, if I share the values expressed, and this is easier by having the words at hand.

So please Spotify bring back the Lyrics Feature most elegantly -- as you did with restyling the Community -- when you find a better Lyrics Provider.

Reading and listening might be even better than karaoke, although not as fun 😉

and every member could always do both, even just singing, as a very close person in my family does, and many other people do.

Thank you for evaluating, with my warmest and most sincere Regards.

Marco, a poet at heart

Updated on 2021-11-18

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback on the Lyrics feature. We’ve heard you and we’re happy to announce Lyrics are here!

You can find Lyrics on Free and Premium for users across iOS and Android devices, desktop, gaming consoles, and TV.

To learn more about the roll out and how to access lyrics, view this announcement.

Cheers!

Comments
PeterParker77

Nah, it's a paid service. It should have nothing to do with luck.

The fact that I can see it in my phone just shows that they've got the rights to show them but haven't bothered to bring that to the desktop app.

Inconsistent and disappointing. 

Scrupulous

The fact that I can't see it on my phone even with latest update is why I just cancelled. 

Heythatsme

good idea because users wouldn't need to go to genius or other lyric websites to look for their lyrics, and it brings back users that may left because they didn't had lyrics.

Lostcowboy

If Spotify for windows had lyrics! Just think what a Karaoke party we could have! Just plug a microphone into the computer and go for it. So cool! Hope we get it soon!

AeroZ

I can’t believe that the main and biggest music streaming service doesn’t have lyrics. They released lyrics in some markets (Mexico, Indonesia etc) which makes me wonder if it’s about money or what.

barreloflaughs

I have an app on my Android Phone called MusixMatch. It is an amazing overlaying app that pops up lyrics whenever I change the song on Spotify. It will automatically play the lyrics a line at a time, to go with the song (like karaoke without the syllable timing, but it'd be even better if it has syllable timing so it could be doubled as a Karaoke app for parties!). It also has the option for you to press a button and get all of the lyrics all at once.

I would pay for a service like that. Say I had to buy the Premium + Lyrics package or it could generate revenue by hosting ads specifically in the lyrics section.

Spotify could be keeping people in their apps longer by making an in-app feature, or an additional app that integrates even more seamlessly.

The most important point from a business standpoint, to me, is the concept of increasing the psychological connection between the listener and the song. Of course I am speaking a lot for myself, but I know others feel this way as well, when you know the lyrics, even more so when you can sing along, the chances of that song not imprinting on you soul in some way are slim to none.

So, having this feature would inherently create app/customer loyalty. Seems like a no-brainer for me! lol 

DiPGames

barreloflaughs, you know Spotify has a contract with MxM? The lyrics they are testing are by them

AeroZ

They aren't testing anymore. They rolled lyrics out in some markets.

Scrupulous

Still no lyrics in SC. I have cancelled premium recently and switched to Amazon Music. Although they do have lyrics,  they are often wrong by a word or two in a line. Amazon also promotes HD quality now for higher price which I got but to these old ears, Spotify still sounds better on some songs. Guess I'm looking for reasons to switch back but so far NO.

JackH429

Spotify is said to be raising prices soon, please make this at a mutual benefit by adding lyrics into your platform. I understand that you must negotiate with record labels to get access to these lyrics but if you can expedite this process that would be greatly appreciated.