Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Bring back the popularity bars

Bring back the little bars that signified how popular each song was on an album!

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
TanG_

I think it's better now. The bars weren't always accurate. I think it all comes to the user preference

San_D

While I agree it wasn't always accurate, it was nice to have. I think the current UI leaves swathes of space unused, rather have the indicator and the count both. And for goodness' sake, the number should be in a monospace font - see how misleading it looks currently. A track with 8 million plays looks quite less popular than a 2 million one.

play_count.png

fréw63

I fully agree. I loved these bars when discovering new artists or albums and quickly getting a glance a the most popular songs when scrolling through the albums. Now you need to actually read and compare numbers which is much less useful. + You can't even sort on the new 'Plays' column to get the most popular ones on top.

Luan
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-04-21

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as 'New Suggestion'.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

dustler27

Yes!!! Please bring back the popularity bars! It's nice to see which songs are getting the most plays on the album to help discover songs. And being back the old layout. It was better having the entire discography to scroll through at once instead of back and forth. 

yumnakorai99

I think it's better now. The bars weren't always accurate. I think it all comes to the user preference. 
Lithium Battery China

aprilsnow

This is the most annoying change of the new UI for me, please consider to re-order the columns under album view. The new PLAYS information is very distracting and as mentioned by above posts to read the numbers is much more effort compares to a visualized bar to get the impression/popularity information.

I don't understand how the total Played numbers matters to a music lover. This is completely a socialized function in my opinion. One step back, if it has to be a number for whatever reason, please move it to the far right side!VERY distracting Plays numbers in the middle of the screenVERY distracting Plays numbers in the middle of the screen

eniol

I think it's much more helpful to see the numbers rather than lines that weren't always visually accurate.

adamrowii

While I like the new Plays bar, I think it should be a toggleable option to use the popularity bars for those that want it.

mcessna

I agree. The popularity bars can be very important for discovering great songs. They are not perfect and I often browse songs that have zero bars...but most of those have zero for a reason, but certainly not all. I'm sure music artists do not like them...since it makes it difficult for anyone to break through, unless they already have a strong following. I spend a lot of time looking for perfect songs to associate with my photography (https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=96151897%40N05&view_all=1&text=Spotify) and without the popularity bars I will have to spend more time than I have to search for the perfect song. It would be ideal if the popularity bar was an "option" for each user. As a software engineer, I understand the arguments on the Spotify developer site for bringing all of the products into more of a shared feature set...but please let power users have access to popularity bars again! Thanks.