Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
jjjenkins

+1 on the lack of volume in the mac app for when using Chromcast. My Issue.

Hello

+1 For the management of audio Chromecast from the desktop software

thank you

seanhak

I have a Nvidia shield, and can easily cast to my device from my PC, and even control the volume. So I raved about this great feature at my office, saying we must get chrome cast (audio) instead of the lousy bluetooth connection.

To my surprise it doesn't share the same feature, and its disapointing you have to use your phone as an intermediate device.

I don't know if this is spotifys implementation or if its google not releasing SDK for desktop, but please please fix this!

Thanks

erik33

I can connect to my Chromecast Audio from my Spotify iPhone app. But the Chromecast symbol does not show up in the OsX-version (desktop) of Spotify.

Only when I first connect to the Chromecast Audio from the Iphone App of Spotify and then check the OsX version can I then see the Chromecast option. Any solution to this?

LittleShips

Bit annoying not be able to connect to Chromecast audio from the desktop app.  Paul

blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-10-14

Marked as new idea.

jaedyn

Really quite silly that I can initiate multi-room casting from the spotify android app, but not from the desktop app. I understand that mobile is "more important" now in terms of revenue, but really.. why is development lagging behind so badly on the desktop app? I've seen this trend with several other companies where a new feature is implemented in mobile and desktop has to wait a good 6-8 months before the same tech is there as well. 😞

repentsinner

FWIW, Spotify Connect now officially supports Sonos natively in both the mobile and desktop apps. Yes a Sonos Connect is a bit more (ok, 10x at $350USD) expensive than a Google Chromecast Audio, but it works as we're expecting in this thread. The added up-front cost seems to me a relatively small price to pay for a solution to a problem that neither Spotify nor Google seem like they will ever address. Best of luck, and remember, Spotify Doesn't Care(tm).

mrstwinkle

Seriously Spotify - this is just dumb. Bought a Chromecast Audio specificially to work with desktop PC and now find it only works properly with phone. Misleading advertising - it should say 'works with Spotify (**only on phones)' Google Play.more tempting day by day.

ryanriggen

Sad to see that you haven't focused on supporting this yet, despite many other companies being able to. You clearly have the capability based on the work-around with a phone, but you're choosing not to. Keep it up and I may change my music provider.