Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments
iririr

What's baffling isn't necessarily that the port hasn't been made yet – delays can happen when you least expect and/or want them – but that Spotify are calling it an "idea". All Macs will transition to Apple Silicon, this is not an "idea" for improvement, it's a matter of keeping up with the times.

Nebulizer

This is a great idea considering the fact that eventually, Intel Macs will be phased out and Rosetta 2 will be discontinued just as they did with the PowerPC architecture back in 2011.

pilotFriend

It has been 8 months since this thread is opened and still the developers of Spotify is not considering this update as a must but an idea. You may know that this is funny and ironically sad. There are extremely complicated programs that have already migrated (ie IDEs with complicated emulators) but a client application of a music streaming service doesn't do it. Why we have to use 3rd party apps or web player to run only native applications on our Macs? This is not fair and you should know that you are losing your customers to services that have "Native Applications" with free trial subscription.

jerots

just started my Apple Music trial 🙂

Gerwin1978

Today is exactly one year after the announcement of Apple Silicon and the Developer Transition Kit. Congratulations, Spotify! You are now officially the worst Mac developer in the world! 

rmatec

I'm sorry but this is NOT an "idea". Supporting Apple silicon given the increasing number of users that are migrating to it should have been priority number 1.

In fact, Spotify should have released an update adding native compatibility in the first month after the announcement of the new models like other responsible companies have done.

Pasting the meaning of responsible, in case people at spotify have trouble finding it out. 🤣

Ph0enixx_0-1624417268911.png

advdrone1

It seems like they are "working on it" according to this post: https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Do-you-hate-Spotify-too/m-p/5217972.

The Spotify team is working on a native app for the new apple systems, however we don't have any official info on a release date.

I bet they will take their sweet time with this and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple Silicon support doesn't come out this year. 

User110

Y'all are trash and slow and pushing long time customers to leave your platform to the company you are literally trying to not loose customers to claiming "unfair practices." Maybe do something simple like update your app b/c Its looking about time to switch to Apple Music 

tcchuin

Currently I had to resort to using chromeless to run a separate instance of browser for spotify web player.. much better battery life (~5% each recharge cycle?) Can use edge or safari, while safari has lower cpu usage, but it's having high cpu % if the window is on foreground. it has the lowest CPU % if audio is playing but UI is hidden tho