Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments
vkza

Another unresponsive, yet predictable, week from Spotify.

Unanswered threads

Naughty Naughty Spotify!

k1gastu

That's just silly – Spotify is one of the least responsive apps on mac M1. I understand that web apps easier to maintain, but if you don't want to make native app – at least optimize it for apple silicon for god's sake.
Dealing with multiple crashes everyday and slow and laggy interface is fine for free open source software, not paid service. But even most of the free software already support M1...

Tech-S1
Yeh it’s because with the open source community developers are fast to make changes like these. However Spotify.... not so much

Amazingly, i started another thread about it: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Apple-Silicon-Support/m-p/5148462#M544508 how is this not an issue yet, how is it that Spotify sits quietly?

qorro

Maybe, once this thread reaches over one thousand votes, they might update us about the situation. 

Tech-S1
I wouldn’t hold your hopes up, the HomePod one is at nearly 3k and no update... 🥺
bmcd243

Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 16.08.22.pngPlease just do us a favour Spotify...Rosetta isn't a permenant solution.

EgemenG

Here again after a month! I got sick of rosetta crashes, then I started my first-month-free period with Apple Music 🙂 

johnavitable

You guys really need votes to decide to port the desktop app to Apple's new platform? Do people have to request when a new version of iOS comes out?

XORiANDOR

I would use Spotify on my M1 Mac through Muzie instead of the official app.

Same Spotify UI, just a container for the web app really, but at least its a functioning app.

But then they went and blocked Muzie!

But they drag their feet on fixing this?!