Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments

Seriously, Spotify, its February, and we are still running Intel software on M1 macs, that is painfully slow. I swear I would never normally do it, but I will go to Apple Music. 

turner5189

Chiming in on this:  M series chips are the future for Apple desktops, that's obvious.  Better for Spotify to do this sooner rather than later for their own benefit.  

matinzd

It's working on Macbook Pro M1 but there are constant crashes and instability. Please prioritize this issue. In my opinion, this does not even require a vote, or at least please make the iPad version available!

A noticable crash is that when I turn on and off VPN, spotify starts to crash.

mahdyar

Do you know what's worse than not having an arm64 Spotify in February? The way they're handling it. No answer, No ETA, nothing. despite 700 votes, nothing since 11/20.

jpgoff

DONT WORRY EVERYONE I MESSAGED HERZOG AND THEY’VE GOT IT. AND BY IT I MEAN THE PASSIVE AGGRESSION 

“Hello jpgoff,

You have received a private message in the Spotify Community.

Subject: Now What? ARM 64 UPDATE

Hey hey, @jpgoff 

I really understand your impatience to have this update. However, I'm afraid I cannot give you any other information about how this suggestion is being carried internally on Spotify. I'm not a Spotify employee, so when an idea reaches the mark of 500 votes, it is analyzed by Spotify Staff and it goes out of my scope. I'm just in charge of the Idea Exchange board here in the Community. But, don't worry! You'll probably get an update as soon as Staff has new pieces of information to share with us. 

If you have any other doubts, let me know! I'd love to help.

Thanks for your comprehension and patience 🙂

Kind Regards,

Luan”

jpgoff

234B6549-3C6D-45B8-B2A4-36C10F67E35B.png

hei_zen

Damn Spotify, get your act together and release a proper version for Apple Silicon already. Its February 2021.

The constant crashes and bad performance Apple Silicon users get with the Spotify app, are just disrespectful to your (paying) customers.

XYuuuan

Cancelled my Spotify Premium for the exact reason although I had been subscribing for years. The current version is slow and its energy usage is appalling compared to other apps supporting Apple silicon.

Adhilmd

This is just annoying now, they are a huge company they should be able to deal with this easily but they still haven't, its feb now and people are still waiting

eyeino

If it's taking this long for an M1 update (when essentially every other app has already been updated), then maybe it's not Apple's fault that Spotify lagged in key Apple features like Siri support?