Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments
vkza

I'm also experiencing crashes.  😞

IchBinHannes

Me too now 🥲

nuju

Already 5 Months passed since the feature request... Crashes are unbearable on M1 devices.

CeramicCash

I feel like Spotify hate apple and that's the reason all the apple related 'ideas' get ignored by Spotify. 

Tech-S1

Spoke to someone at customer support just to be told “I tried checking for any answer specific to your inquiries but I didn't find any. On the other hand, the fact that the idea/request is already posted on the forum, then we can be sure that the right team is already made aware of it.” - Same for the home pod thread 

tev11

Even Electron (the platform that the Spotify app is built on) has said, in NO UNCLEAR TERMS, NO AMBIGUITY, AND IN NO CONFUSING TERMS, that PERFORMANCE will be SIGNIFICANTLY DEGRADED if you don't optimize for arm64/Apple Silicon

Do you think I'm bull****ing that? No, you can find where they state that here. Scroll to the bottom page. It's impossible to miss. It's nice and bolded 🙂

Please hurry.

leoplan2

@tev11 FYI Spotify is not built with Electron, it's built with Chromium Embedded Framework, so they're not exactly the same

ShogunJL

The app has been crashing multiple times a day on my M1 MBP. It's not great.

Joichi

I hope this happens soon. App crashing was rare, now to daily. Starting to consider different service if nothing is done... TBH was not happy with the desktop app since it did not have proper "recently played" even before M1 chip.

XYuuuan

More users are reporting bugs and crashes due to the unoptimised Spotify app and the votes have become more and more. Still, there is no update from Spotify for Apple Silicon. The iOS app receives frequent updates, but not the app for Mac.

I personally quit Spotify Premium last month. After being a loyal premium customer for over 3 years. Of course they won't suffer too much but I will just raise my own voice.