Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Developer] Spotify for Windows on Arm (Win32) Desktop app badly needed

Can you tell me when Spotify will be released for Windows on ARM and where on your Roadmap it is?

Windows on ARM PCs have been out a few years now and whilst the 32-Bit Windows App works, due to software emulation not optimally.

Apple announced on the 22nd of June Macs are moving to ARM starting the end of the year and they expect the transition away from Intel to ARM to take 2 years. Both Microsoft and Adobe are working on ARM compatibility.

Currently on my Microsoft Surface Pro X I have to use the 32-Bit download which lags.

A new idea was posted for this last year but it's been closed as it didn't get enough Likes but it didn't get enough Likes as it's been closed 😕 -

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Compile-Spotify-for-ARM64-windows/idi-p/478113...

Thanks

Updated on 2023-08-08

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we're rolling out an app compatible with ARM PCs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here in the Community!

Comments
Alovchin91

Hey @Spotify,

You're going to release ARM64 version of the app for MacOS anyway, so please consider doing this for Windows as well.

Unfortunately, your x86 app is really slow under emulation and is pretty heavy for the battery.

At the same time:

• CEF for Windows ARM64 is available
  • Microsoft has shown commitment to ARM64 releasing a lot of tools and even new devices this year
  • Given Apple's move to ARM64, one can be sure this will be a big topic in the coming years
  • If some of your dependencies don't run on ARM64 yet, you can still fallback to emulation.

I mean, come on, even Adobe has introduced a beta version of Photoshop for ARM64 today!

I hope to see some news on this front soon!

bradavon

We can thank Apple for Microsoft releasing 365 and Adobe releasing Creative Cloud for ARM64. I bet they said it was essential these come soon.

I expect Spotify will wait the full 2 years to release a version of Spotify for MacOS on ARM64 :(. I bet they're not developing it yet, but we may hear something in 6 months or so.

Spotify is already more advanced on MacOS. It's x86 64-bit because MacOS no longer supports 32-bit.

mikesinghdotnet

This needs to happen! ARM is the future of computing and Windows is the biggest market! A true no-brainer!

sunfire222

Hi,

The Store app is very very slow. But installing it as an app from Edge (webplayer) actually works much much better. I have some small problems with starting playback now and then but WAY better to use this app.

Spotify should just polish that WEB app and publish to the store.

BR,

H

michel333alf

spotify doesnt care about android and windows users. they just simply dont care. they will not create a windows arm app because microsoft is bad at marketing windows and not may people use arm windows. seems logic but thats just poor customer service which is driving people to move to other platforms

bradavon

Not many people use ARM Macs either.

ARM PCs are only really a year old and ARM MACs only a few weeks old.

stogdan

bradavon: That's actually not quite true. Windows RT, based on Windows 8 came out 8 years ago in 2012. Although it was not a success, it likely laid a lot of the groundwork needed for Microsoft to port Windows 10 to ARM.

And market share is one thing, but that doesn't change the fact that with both MacOS and Windows you can now make apps universal regardless of underlying platform architecture.  ARM will become more relevant over time. NVIDIAs ARM acquisition is a proof of where they want to position them selves in 5-10 years.. I will say its about perspective, and ability to look ahead. Spotify is just "one app", but they need to be careful to miss important crossroads, this is likely one of them, although it may not look like it now, based on market share alone.

bradavon

@Stogan,

That's not actually quite true. Windows RT was a direct competitor to iPad and a very different beast from Windows on ARM. Which at least for MacOS is an entire platform change.

Both ARM but with very different goals. I wouldn't say so as such. Google is moving to ARM, Apple is moving to ARM. It's where they're all headed.

Spotify aren't going to develop a Spotify for Windows on ARM until market share increases. They will for MacOS on ARM because Apple will force them by 2 years.

But there's nothing concrete to say Intel won't remain the dominant PC processor provider.

I bought a couple of Rasberry Pi 4(4) s this fall and have really enjoying the ARM64 platform since.  Getting a way to playing native Spotify on this platform and sounding my Khadas ToneBoard DAC would be much appreciated.  I believe the KTB board/Rasberry Pi community would of course also greatly benefit this functionality. 

kbftech

Arm Is only Just Beginning. surface Pro X & Macs are revolutionizing Computers (Portable Ones at Least) and sooner or Later apps like Spotify will Follow. The question is which service will innovate and lay the ground For others to follow? Hopefully, I Spotify is already on it!

sorry for the Typos, I am learning to write with a pen again!