Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Developer] Spotify for Windows on Arm (Win32) Desktop app badly needed

Can you tell me when Spotify will be released for Windows on ARM and where on your Roadmap it is?

Windows on ARM PCs have been out a few years now and whilst the 32-Bit Windows App works, due to software emulation not optimally.

Apple announced on the 22nd of June Macs are moving to ARM starting the end of the year and they expect the transition away from Intel to ARM to take 2 years. Both Microsoft and Adobe are working on ARM compatibility.

Currently on my Microsoft Surface Pro X I have to use the 32-Bit download which lags.

A new idea was posted for this last year but it's been closed as it didn't get enough Likes but it didn't get enough Likes as it's been closed 😕 -

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Compile-Spotify-for-ARM64-windows/idi-p/478113...

Thanks

Updated on 2023-08-08

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we're rolling out an app compatible with ARM PCs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here in the Community!

Comments
bradavon

Hi Elena,

Oh wow thanks. It's been a long 2 years using the 32-Bit Win32 Desktop App on my Windows on ARM (Surface Pro X) device.

This is certainly better news than the original Support response that Windows on ARM PCs "aren't really PCs, and are like PCs". Urgh.

May I ask is a 64-Bit version (for Intel/AMD) also in the works? This would in effect replace the existing 32-Bit version? There is less urgency for this though because the 32-Bit version does work on Windows PCs with Intel/AMD chips.

It's Windows on ARM PCs, the most popular being the Surface Pro X, that's badly needed.

Please pass on my thanks to the developers.

Alex
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Updated on 2022-05-30

Hey everyone,

As announced previously, the beta release is now ready and can be downloaded from THIS LINK.

Please uninstall any any previous versions of Spotify and install the Arm beta from the link above. Before doing so, make sure that you’re indeed using an Arm processor.

The current version is 1.1.86.857. There may be subsequent updates which will work much like those on the Desktop app.

There is currently one known issue with this release - some video Podcast episodes can't be played and trying to do so results in an error message about updating the Spotify client version. There is a workaround to this for those of you who want to play this content, but also want to test the beta and help us improve it. Just go to the Share option in the menu, copy the Web link and paste it in your browser to then watch it there in the web player instead.

We would love to hear your feedback on what works fine and if you encounter any technical hiccups. This will help us develop this version of the app and ensure it meets your expectations 🙂

bradavon

This is a Desktop app btw :).

Windows on ARM PCs aren't mobile devices as was previously reported by Spotify Moderators. They're full blown PCs only with ARM processors (currently all from Qualcomm but this will change) instead of the usual Intel or AMD processors.

bradavon

Hi Alex,

Will updates automatically install without me having to do anything?

PC tested on: Microsoft Surface Pro X with SQ1 processor with 16GB memory (there's also a very minor revision with a SQ2 processor).
Operating System: Windows 11

WOW. I've never had the Spotify for Windows Desktop app perform so well. It opens instantly, runs smoothly. It even performs better than the 32-Bit Desktop App did on my Surface Pro 4 (which was from 2015 to be fair).

For the past 2 years I gave up on using Spotify on my PC and used it solely on my Android. I can finally use it again.

Major improvement. Thanks.

How do I raise any issues? None so far.

p.s. Can you pass on it would be nice if the Windows app remembered which monitor you last had it on, it always opens on the Main Display if you had it Maximised when it was last open. This is not a problem with the ARM64 version though, the same happens on the 32-Bit Desktop too. It's a minor inconvenience to have to move it every time.

bradavon

Windows PCs with ARM processors (not a full list):

Some are listed on Qualcomm's website:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/application/mobile-computing/laptop-device-finder

Here's a more extensive list (also not a full list):

Acer
Acer Aspire 1 (A114-61)
Acer Spin 7

Asus
Asus NovaGo
Asus ExpertBook B3 Detachable

Dell
None as far as I can tell?

HP
HP Envy x2
HP Laptop 14 (14-eg0001na)
HP Elite Folio

Huawei
Huawei MateBook E

Lenovo
Lenovo 10w
Lenovo Miix 630
Lenovo Yoga C630
Lenovo Flex 5G
Lenovo ThinkPad X13s (first PC to use the new Qualcomm 8cx Gen 3 processor)

Microsoft
Microsoft Surface Pro X with SQ1
Microsoft Surface Pro X with SQ2 (was still marketed as Surface Pro X due to only being a very minor processor refresh)

Samsung
Samsung Galaxy Book 2
Samsung Galaxy Book S (also a version with Intel)
Samsung Galaxy Book Go

Thomson
Thomson Neo z3

bradavon

Spotify have released a Spotify for Windows Desktop app for ARM PCs here (currently in Beta):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Developer-Spotify-for-Windows-on-Arm-Win32-Deskt...

dennisameling

Works super smoothly on my Surface Pro X indeed. Thanks Spotify team!! 😄

alibabahck

Just providing some feedback on the ARM64 beta app.

It now takes about 13 seconds to open Spotify and load my playlist as opposed to 26 seconds with the Windows Store x86 version. Previously it took a while to load the tracks in my playlist as I scrolled down, now it basically happens instantly. I have made reasonable use of it and haven't found any issues so far but I'll provide further feedback if I find any. I'm using Windows 11 (21H2) on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 based device.

This is a very big improvement- really appreciate the effort in making this available!

bradavon

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 is one of the older Windows on ARM processors too. Pretty sure the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 was the first.

If it works well with this, it bodes well for others using the newer Qualcomm 8cx Gen 1/Gen 2/Gen 3 or Microsoft SQ1/SQ2.

Alovchin91

Oh wow, this is great news! Can't wait to try it out when I'm back at my computer 😊