Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Developer] Spotify for Windows on Arm (Win32) Desktop app badly needed

Can you tell me when Spotify will be released for Windows on ARM and where on your Roadmap it is?

Windows on ARM PCs have been out a few years now and whilst the 32-Bit Windows App works, due to software emulation not optimally.

Apple announced on the 22nd of June Macs are moving to ARM starting the end of the year and they expect the transition away from Intel to ARM to take 2 years. Both Microsoft and Adobe are working on ARM compatibility.

Currently on my Microsoft Surface Pro X I have to use the 32-Bit download which lags.

A new idea was posted for this last year but it's been closed as it didn't get enough Likes but it didn't get enough Likes as it's been closed 😕 -

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Compile-Spotify-for-ARM64-windows/idi-p/478113...

Thanks

Updated on 2023-08-08

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we're rolling out an app compatible with ARM PCs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here in the Community!

Comments
bradavon

It's 32-Bit not x64 btw. 32-Bit or ARM64.

Good point. I noticed this but it's only the 32-Bit version offered if you try and download it and it's only the 32-Bit version on the Microsoft Store.

hmartinez
Ah you're right, 32 bits 🙂

Your question about the Microsoft Store is valid. I did look for a it
recently and it's only being offered in 32bits.
jay_ebooks

Is there a timeframe for this being released out of beta and published in the MS store? It's been a number of months and I've yet to experience any problems that would be unique to the platform. It's been working as well as any of my x86 machines.

bradavon

Hi jay_ebooks.

I've been wondering just the same. The Beta has been out for 5 months now:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Developer-Spotify-for-Windows-on-Arm-Win32-Deskt...

It is getting updates, but it seems like they've forgotten about it a bit.

It's also an issue as Tech Reviewers are now reviewing the new Surface Pro 9 with 5G and it's clear from the Verge's review for example, he's not aware an ARM64 build exists. Spotify is mentioned in their Surface Pro 9 with 5G review and it heavily infers he's using the x86 version. It's a knock down for the platform because the likes of Spotify haven't released the ARM64 build fully still.

As per usual with the Verge and the Windows on ARM platform, the Tech journalist didn't do his research but to be fair if you go to Spotify.com it only offers you the x86 32-Bit App.

As far as I can tell this is the only place Spotify mention the ARM64 build :/.

JonS1
Completely agreed, was very disappointed to see the Verge review, especially as the ARM64 version is performing very well indeed on my Surface Pro X SQ2.

Please Spotify, release this soon and get the kudos your platform deserves for a great ARM implementation.
bradavon

Hi JonS1.

Absolutely agreed.

Me too. The reviewer's point about Slack was valid, but using Chrome just to be obstinate is just what they did in 2019 when the Surface Pro X launched. Yes Google should've released Chrome for WoA but when Edge is so similar, it's being given more weight than it deserves.

The same review infers both Spotify and Lightroom run poorly, but Spotify for ARM64 has been out since 05/2022 and Lightroom for ARM64 since 05/2021. 
Adobe should be properly offering both Lightroom (and Photoshop) on their Creative Cloud platform. The reviewer didn't go into details why he wasn't using it.

Slack aside, I thought the whole review had a bias to it making out the platform is much worse than it is in reality. Yes I wouldn't want Game or Video edit on it, but then I wouldn't choose an Intel based Surface Pro for these tasks either. It's unreasonable expectations.

General purpose use the Windows on ARM platform offers major benefits over Intel/AMD based PCs.

TommyVCT

The current beta version runs very well. Why not put it up on MIcrosoft Store?

Expiring7845

When will we get the ARM version for Linux?

bradavon

Hi,

When will this be out of Beta and crucially on the Microsoft Store?

The Beta was first released 30th of May 2022 and has been stable for some time now but non-techie users who try to install Spotify on a Windows on ARM PC will be presented with sluggish performance as they'll be directed to install the wrong version for their device.

Spotify for Windows on ARM has been out in beta for nearly a year now.

jay_ebooks

It has now been available for over a year and is still not available in the Microsoft store and therefor can't integrate with widgets. What is the deal?