Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Full Discography Reinstatement

The full chronological artist discography, with all tracks listed out, has been removed from artist pages. Please add this back, as it was the most efficient way to explore an Artist's discography. Very simple.

Spotify seems to be attempting to bury this issue by closing attempts to bring it up and referring to other versions of this question that have also been closed. This is a new issue for users that are experiencing this change for the first time.

See:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Put-all-of-an-artist-s-songs-back-on-their-pag...

and:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-Provide-a-simple-Tracklist-with-a...

Updated on 2021-04-06

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We'll mark this Idea as "Under Consideration" as we discuss ways in the team to bring this use-case back to Desktop, and perhaps to web for the first time.

You can currently play through the entire discography (with shuffle on or off) by using the large play button on the artist page, but we appreciate that starting this from a specific track was something many of you were keen on.

You can get more info about this here. You can also take a peek at the newsroom announcement for the new desktop app.

You can also Subscribe via the 3-dot menu and keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Cheers!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

Artist page list view is back! WOOOOHOOOOOO! And it has come to the web player for the first time. I like how more advanced the web player is getting at the same time. 

However, I don't like that you have to switch between an albums and singles view. There should be a little box you can check for combined view for those that prefer it like in the old desktop app. Having more options is good in this case. So glad to have this view back. Thank you! 💚

Artist page list view is back!.png

Comments
bzuidgeest

Also just got the update and I cannot imagine what kind of **bleep** thought that removing the track listing from an music player was a good thing. He or she needs to be fired. I do not care about album. I want track listings and I want them with the little bar show the play count. That makes it easier to find the best versions of a track (though not guranteed).

kcdcox

I couldn't agree more. This is why I moved from Apple music to Spotify. They kept making updates which were worse, specifically updates that made the user navigate through albums to find songs. UX 101 is do not add redundant steps to primary use-cases. The average person does not memorize what album every song is associated with, from any given artist.  The primary use case of entering an artists page is to see their songs, not their albums. The main reasons I  go to an artists page is to find a particular song, which there isn't even a search function for on the artist page (which could at least mitigate the inherent issues with this fractured data design philosophy) or otherwise I go to an artist I know, not for a particular song, but to browse all their songs for inspirations as to what to add to a playlist. So to be forced to navigate away from a broad, birds-eye view of an artist, to 5+ fragmented views, or any number of redundant fractures, feels like your perception of the artists is splintered in an extremely unsatisfying and inefficient way. Artists are increasingly releasing singles and EPs so now to see their discography can be an overwhelming wall of "album" covers, representing a comparably small amount of music, which is an extremely inefficient way to browse any artists work, than would be a succinct list. The rest of the new design changes all seem good to me, but this design choice is simply a huge step backwards. I know that it will be more processing heavy to show all songs on the first view. but sometimes to make something worth paying for, you need to prioritize the behaviours that make it worth using, not those that just save operating costs. Please change it back, so that Spotify remains worth using. (also while you're at it, please add a play count for each song (plays from yourself I mean))

Blazbaros

I just noticed this feature was missing today and it drove me nuts.  These new updates are consistently making the experience worse.

wildurit

I love the new functionality. Never again will I have to scroll through massive discographies. I can view all the albums at once; incredible. I don't have a problem if you bring back the old functionality, but you should defs keep the discography tab, I hate scrolling through all the songs when I just wanna put on a good album

MuzakMaker

@wildrut you could do that before this update. This isn't new functionality, it's loss of functionality

toastymmm

@wildurit What you're asking for was possible before and after the update. Seems like the topic here doesn't concern changes that affect you or the way you use Spotify, so best to leave this thread to the users whose experience with the app has been negatively affected.

datsunlaurel

Thank you, the latest update is a complete catastrophe 😵 What on Earth were they thinking??? Nothing makes sense! We had a perfectly fine UI. Now we have:

- Full discography needs to be opened manually. Every. Single. Time. Why would anyone want to see just a few random albums instead of the full discography? What's the point of this update? 

- The player doesn't remember the last position within a playlist. What is this? The time of Charlemagne? Answer me. Answer me now! This needs to be fixed ASAP.

- Instead of the old, CLEAN layout, with separate columns for Song, Artist, Album, and PLENTY of space in between, we have a huge, inexplicable mess, with the band names squeezed in under bigger song titles, plus completely unnecessary miniature album covers. With this layout you have to scroll slower to make out the band names and to see where one band ends and the next one begins. Terrible! Right now I'm at my parents' computer where I was still able to run the old version. What a sight for sore eyes. 

Improvements: I can't see any. Seriously, not a single one. Can't you just say this was an April Fool's prank and reinstate the previous version?

jadefalcon14

Everyone has said pretty much my thoughts - browsing the full list of songs generally in chronological order was the main way I used this to find music, as I don't always know what album the song was in and the search is frankly abysmal when looking for specific songs. The new interface requires multiple clicks to get to anything useful (I also love and use the daily mixes and those are buried like 3-5 clicks deep) and now I have to click through every album too? Yikes

Elena
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Updated on 2021-04-06

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We'll mark this Idea as "Under Consideration" as we discuss ways in the team to bring this use-case back to Desktop, and perhaps to web for the first time.

You can currently play through the entire discography (with shuffle on or off) by using the large play button on the artist page, but we appreciate that starting this from a specific track was something many of you were keen on.

You can get more info about this here. You can also take a peek at the newsroom announcement for the new desktop app.

You can also Subscribe via the 3-dot menu and keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Cheers!

andyisavinit

HONESTLY THIS IS A COMPLETE DISASTER OF AN UPDATE !!!!!!

SPOTIFY FIX THIS PLEASE Or at least give us the choice in how we browse artists albums. Are we supposed to remember what album every song we listen to is on!!!!!!!! Ridiculous. I AM SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS!

I am not alone in saying  - If this isn't fixed I WILL BE LEAVING Spotify.

I CANNOT BARE this new update! It's so backward! Are you trying to make things difficult to navigate and find new music?