Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Full Discography Reinstatement

The full chronological artist discography, with all tracks listed out, has been removed from artist pages. Please add this back, as it was the most efficient way to explore an Artist's discography. Very simple.

Spotify seems to be attempting to bury this issue by closing attempts to bring it up and referring to other versions of this question that have also been closed. This is a new issue for users that are experiencing this change for the first time.

See:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Put-all-of-an-artist-s-songs-back-on-their-pag...

and:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-Provide-a-simple-Tracklist-with-a...

Updated on 2021-04-06

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We'll mark this Idea as "Under Consideration" as we discuss ways in the team to bring this use-case back to Desktop, and perhaps to web for the first time.

You can currently play through the entire discography (with shuffle on or off) by using the large play button on the artist page, but we appreciate that starting this from a specific track was something many of you were keen on.

You can get more info about this here. You can also take a peek at the newsroom announcement for the new desktop app.

You can also Subscribe via the 3-dot menu and keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Cheers!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

Artist page list view is back! WOOOOHOOOOOO! And it has come to the web player for the first time. I like how more advanced the web player is getting at the same time. 

However, I don't like that you have to switch between an albums and singles view. There should be a little box you can check for combined view for those that prefer it like in the old desktop app. Having more options is good in this case. So glad to have this view back. Thank you! 💚

Artist page list view is back!.png

Comments
ParentalControl

I like the user interface of the web player and how spotify can be completely used from a browser but we need this particular feature back as it's been missing for a while even from the pre-updated desktop player.

nixoid

"we appreciate that starting this from a specific track was something many of you were keen on" is a severe understatement of the magnitude of the problem. It took my user experience from A+ TO B-. I have to go back to Spotify window or app every 20-30 minutes now to switch between albums instead of just enjoying continuous playback for hours. 

This is the worst inconvenience i had with Spotify ever. 

Xiol

The new discography layout is useless. Bring back the old one. This is the main major issue I have with the new update. I used that interface all the time, removing it has significantly affected my use of this application.

Ericps

I'm honestly canceling my Premium subscription if this doesn't get rolled back in the next update. As a user and designer myself, I'm getting tired of bloated Design departments making changes that simply remove value from the UX for the sake of doing a UI refresh and showing work. 
Why the heck would you remove an alternative between 2 views, and force the users to use the one with more clicks (going back and forth between Albums and Artist page). I would actually bet that most users are using full discography list view since it's way faster to find tracks. Very few artists have discographies so long that it's unusable for a list view (eg. Allman Brothers Band, full of reissues and live stuff).

lindsay-304

What on earth is Spotify doing, it seems like they have no idea or understand people that use their platform!!!!!!!

nixoid

I'm selling my Spotify shares if this is not rolled back. Will switch to soma.fm - what's the difference if you can't pick a song anyway

lindsay-304

We need to get this news out on Social Media with this link to shear and to request votes!!!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Full-Discography-Reinstatement/idi-p/5178453/pag...

dbeeve2707

Have to add my 2 cents here: I have been a devoted and enthusiastic Spotify fan for at least a decade, but I absolutely hate the new discography layout. Please please bring back the ability to see/play/skip through individual tracks under each album/EP in list format. As you can see from my screenshot, it is practically impossible now to navigate the new layout if you just want to listen to say the latest singles/EPs that have come out in advance of a new album release (notice the multiple repeats of singles due to remixes, etc. in the screenshot). It's truly tedious to have to click into each single individually and then add each song to your queue to listen to them in order of their release. Really feels like one of the worst decisions/changes to the UI I could imagine from a user's perspective. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 2.43.08 PM.png

pelvis_stressly

The status update doesn't seem to be correct:

"You can currently play through the entire discography (with shuffle on or off) by using the large play button on the artist page, but we appreciate that starting this from a specific track was something many of you were keen on."

When you hit play on the artist's profile, it begins playing Popular items, not starting with track 1 of the first album in discography. Also, I agree starting from inside the discography is essential. This is how I listen to 90% of the music in Spotify.

Slyde

Agree 100% not sure who took this away has to be the biggest and dumbest mistake yet. makes me not even want to use spotify. I liked it because of its usability. This is just trash.