Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Full Discography Reinstatement

The full chronological artist discography, with all tracks listed out, has been removed from artist pages. Please add this back, as it was the most efficient way to explore an Artist's discography. Very simple.

Spotify seems to be attempting to bury this issue by closing attempts to bring it up and referring to other versions of this question that have also been closed. This is a new issue for users that are experiencing this change for the first time.

See:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Put-all-of-an-artist-s-songs-back-on-their-pag...

and:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-Provide-a-simple-Tracklist-with-a...

Updated on 2021-04-06

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We'll mark this Idea as "Under Consideration" as we discuss ways in the team to bring this use-case back to Desktop, and perhaps to web for the first time.

You can currently play through the entire discography (with shuffle on or off) by using the large play button on the artist page, but we appreciate that starting this from a specific track was something many of you were keen on.

You can get more info about this here. You can also take a peek at the newsroom announcement for the new desktop app.

You can also Subscribe via the 3-dot menu and keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Cheers!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

Artist page list view is back! WOOOOHOOOOOO! And it has come to the web player for the first time. I like how more advanced the web player is getting at the same time. 

However, I don't like that you have to switch between an albums and singles view. There should be a little box you can check for combined view for those that prefer it like in the old desktop app. Having more options is good in this case. So glad to have this view back. Thank you! 💚

Artist page list view is back!.png

Comments
jonathantanjh

New view is terrible, who did you guys test it with? Who thought that it was a good idea to have the entire discography of an artist buried within albums rather than just showing them all in one page? Now we have to click into an album to see what songs are in it?.

The previous view was infinitely better, please just reinstate that view if you guys are not going to implement a fix soon. New updated artist view is a straight up regression in UX. 

Also, on another note, good job burying feedback in this obscure corner of your website. Great way to make sure no one sees actual feedback from users.

m_andersen

Why would you remove a feature that was working perfectly and had many users (as this thread witnesses)?
The suggestion to use the 'big play button' on the artist page is completely useless for our usecase. Why would we want to listen through the top10 list every time we want to hear music from a specific artist. 
I, like several others in this thread, are seriously considering leaving spotify for another music service that CAN get the absolute basics right. And I do consider being able to play the discography of an artist, starting from any song or album I want, absolutely basic. 

RoryH

Many albums that are on Spotify are outright missing from their artist's 'Discography' page. For instead Killing Joke's self-titled 1980 album is missing from their discography page (Windows app) despite the fact that you can search for and play the album. In fact the first album that shows on that page is from 1994.

dallenbaldwin

Before the update I used to love to play an artist's full discography by pressing play on one of the albums on the artist page and let the app play the full album, continuing onto the next album/EP/single/whatever, without me having to interact with Spotify. Now, for new artists with a small collection of single track releases, I have to continually go back into the app to continue listening to their releases in the order that appears in the Discography page. It's less of an issue for well established artists with large full length albums, but it's still annoying. I don't like creating playlists for everything, it defeats the purpose of following artists. I also I really don't like having to babysit the app. The best user experience is one they forget about while using an application

kang3

Not being able to see all of the artists' songs at once is the #1 worst thing about using the mobile app and now it's spread to the desktop app. Please consider reverting, this is such an awful step in the wrong direction in terms of user experience. Remember: fewer clicks = better. Every single time.

camaxide

It is now possible to see all the albums again, by going through to 'albums' or 'singles' and then click the list icon - most will not find this though unless they read about it or click around in the interface, so it would be better to be like before. shortcommings is also that albums and singles are now split to two different places, and last album release date is no longer visible - it was nice to see the year of each album before - and I believe almost every single user would prefer the open full list of all releases (albums, singles - all) to be visible in the same view by default - well simply like it always used to be before the bad changes was made. - 17 pages of complaints on this should be a good hint that perhaps the old view was simply better.. I don't mean to revert to the old 'code' - but simply make the new code have the same function and feature as what the old one had - since it was that much better with that layout.

Xiol

When is this feature going to appear in the Linux desktop client? I can see it in the web player, but there is no list option in the desktop client.

You say you've done this move to unify the web, mobile and desktop players, yet Linux support is lagging again.

MattSuda

@Xiol 

The Linux app is not actively supported on the same schedule as the Windows and Mac desktop apps. So from time to time the Linux app will be updated, but in general it will be slower to get the changes you see in the Windows and Mac desktop apps. The web player has the same infrastructure as the Windows and Mac desktop apps but with less features.

From the Linux download page:

"Spotify for Linux is a labor of love from our engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines. They work on it in their spare time and it is currently not a platform that we actively support. The experience may differ from our other Spotify Desktop clients, such as Windows and Mac. You can tell us what you think and ask other users for help at the Desktop (Linux) board in The Spotify Community forum."

Hopefully you'll see this change eventually!

shanali89

Yes, please bring it back. Don't make the UI difficult by adding steps to things that were easier before.

This is a new issue, the new UI looks good but the Discographies are out of order and now you have to click multiple times to get to the music you want. 

Thanks for sharing. unionwells germany

Lisa_morrow

Making you go into multiple separate sections or pages is not great for user use. I test apps and websites all the time, how the **bleep** did this get passed at all through testing? People really said "Yes, this makes my experience so much easier and better?" Well it definitely isn't easier. Please bring back the following:

Click on an artist's page > Scroll down and see all albums in order from new-old > Each album shows all tracks on said album > End with singles and appears on.

I love change, and love seeing companies expand their products, but the recent updates for Spotify have not been for the better.