Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] IPv6 support for the desktop client

Resubmitting  the same idea as:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Support-IPv6-end-to-end/idi-p/1240314

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Desktop-client-IPv6-support/idi-p/1667179

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Other-IPv6-Support/idi-p/4469460

submitted previously by @sdstrowes

It would be highly desirable to make sure that the desktop client can work on Ipv6-only networks as they are becoming operation reality (a number of large entrerprise networks like Cisco and Microsoft have piloted IPv6-only corporate networks).

As it's been mentioned in the previosuly posted incarnations of this idea, the mobile client works just fine and Fastly supports IPv6.

Thanks!

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
timstp

I'm able to make it (partially) work on Mac OS by turning on an IPv4 interface when I launch the client, then turning it off again.  It complains that it is offline, but it still seems to function just fine.  I suspect that at least making this work over NAT64 is something really simple that someone just overlooked.

Yes, native IPv6 support is really important, but there is no excuse for software that won't at least function over NAT64 + DNS64

Why do I care?  I manage an ISP network with limited IPv4 resources that we cannot replenish.  We will need to deploy customers with IPv6 only before the end of 2021, but it's stupid software like this that is going to make that job very difficult.  Now I have to start to look at 464 XLAT and other things to work around problems that other people have created, instead of companies just fixing their infrastructure and code.

miyurusankalpa
$host audio-akp-spotify-com.akamaized.net
audio-akp-spotify-com.akamaized.net is an alias for audio-ak.spotify.com.eip.akadns.net.
audio-ak.spotify.com.eip.akadns.net is an alias for v4-only.eip-ntt.audio-ak.spotify.com.akahost.net.
v4-only.eip-ntt.audio-ak.spotify.com.akahost.net has address 23.1.106.33

why is the akamai CDN domain has become IPv4 only? this domain had been dual-stacked previously.

I found it when debugging on why suddenly downloads had become slow.

Mario
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

joeldeluxe

Any news on this? 

exponentialverteilt

My new fibre internet connection provides NAT64 as a transition mechanism, so the network is "IPV6-only". I noticed that the Spotify App behaved strange when running on the new connection. Playing whole albums and searching worked, but playing individual tracks does not, so I contacted the friendly support. It required them to write 3 times back and forth until they told me that the App does not support IPv6. That's very disappointing in two ways.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a company has problems supporting an internet standard that has been around longer than the company itself.

As a consequence, I am cancelling my subscription and looking around for alternatives.

Log:

22:51:26.975 D [connect:792 ] Connection lost
22:51:27.725 I [f:504 ] Connecting to AP ap-gew1.spotify.com:4070
22:51:27.727 I [f:59 ] Resolved ap-gew1.spotify.com to 104.199.65.124
22:51:27.727 E [f:437 ] AP Socket Error: Network is unreachable (101)
22:51:27.727 E [f:759 ] Connection error: ap_socket
tiljes

@exponentialverteilt

Do u mind telling what is your ISP?

exponentialverteilt

@tiljes sure, I'm on TMR via student housing. This is a regional ISP in the Rhine-Ruhr area.

ofekblander

I am also unable to log in to my user!!! While trying to fix the offline mode I thought I had, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify desktop on my MacBook, so when trying to log in back, I get the 31 error code. After reading all of this I get that ipv6 is the solution for my problem too! Is there going to be a quick fix? Or should I just get back to apple music? UGH! so annoying! 

exponentialverteilt

@ofekblander probably switching back would be a solution with the least headaches. You could pay for an additional VPN provider, that also assigns IPv4 addresses, but that costs additional money.

It's also a bit funny, that Spotify isn't able to manage this, because for their iOS-App, they need to implement IPv6-only support, since it's a mandatory requirement of their app store system.

I cancelled my subscription and switched back to MP3s.

Didjey

Edit: Wrong thread 😶