[Desktop] Link & Unlink Local Files

This recent update is really ruining my playlists by linking completely different files on my computer to albums that I am trying to stream.

For instance, Babymetal's Red Night album. If you look at the picture I attached, every single one of the songs on Black Night where the artist name of Babymetal is white instead of grey has been linked to Red Night, even though they are completely different versions of the songs. When I am trying to play a Red Night track, instead of playing the Red Night track, it just says it is and plays the linked Black Night track instead as if I can't notice a difference. So, essentially, despite the fact that I am paying the premium fee, nearly the entire Red Night album is unavailable to me because I have completely different local files being linked to it. This is completely asinine. There used to be an absolutely necessary feature in which you could rightclick on a song and select an option to unlink it from a local file. This needs to be brought back immediately.

spotify.jpg
Updated: 2016-02-22

Hey everyone, at the moment we don't have plans to implement this feature. We're marking this as 'Not Right Now' but we'll continue to look back here for feedback and give you all updates. Thanks!

Comments
JanitorofLunacy
Casual Listener

This is such a grievous injustice. I'm paying a premium fee to listen to songs I don't own, not songs I do. Why are tracks with different lengths, from different albums, that certainly DON'T SOUND THE SAME OR I NEVER WOULD HAVE NOTICED, being linked together? I already paid to listen to the tracks that I own as local files; I am paying for Spotify to listen to tracks that I didn't already buy. Why are they linking the tracks that I own to the tracks that I don't, making the streaming tracks unlistenable unless I turn off my local files, in turn ruining my playlists? If streaming tracks that I don't own are being overwritten by my local files, leaving me unable to listen to the streaming tracks that I want to hear, what am I paying for Spotify for?

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-04-07

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. ;)

Chuck_Norris

At the top bar go to 
EDIT > PREFERENCES > SCROLL DOWN TO LOCAL FILES > TURN OFF "SHOW TRACKS FROM..." FOR ALL iTunes, Downloads etc...
Hope this helped!!!

SubzeroSC
Roadie

"New Idea" ??? How is this new idea when YOU Spotify removed it.

Spotify communication and treatment of its customers is a joke.

Ghostm

As a new spotify customer I am pretty disappointed. Why was this removed? How do i fix tool tracks from "the tool" to properly display as tool? I have no idea why spotify thought it would be a good idea to remove this feature, do they use the program themselves and not realize how important this feature is when the program incorrectly links tracks and why did they think it was a good idea to remove it?

SubzeroSC
Roadie

@JanitorofLunacy

I believe that the linking functionality does not check any of the length or the actual song (sound matching) but simply checks the title and if it is close enough it links the tracks. For example 

if you have a local song named: Artist 1 - Song title 1 and there is a song in Spotify database named Artist 1 - Song Title 1 - Remastered, the two songs will be linked. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. Only way around this is to use a different program to change the meta data of the song to match exactly the song in Spotify or make it something more "different".

Shoeman
Music Fan

Spotify is getting worse every day, removing important features and loosing great albums from Catalog. The local files limited to desktop is already a poor implementation. Google Play Music way where you can upload the songs you bough or play songs stored on your mobile device is much better. But with the latest changes and the totaly wrong maches its almost useless.

NotMitchelBade
Casual Listener

A month later and there's still no fix. This is awful. I found out last night that my Amazon Prime account has streaming audio. I've been paying for Spotify for about 4 years now, but this may be the final straw for me. I have lots of live bootlegs, and Spotify is making it so that I can't listen to them. It even does that with some of its own tracks! (For example, most of the tracks from Tiesto's live Magik 6 and Magik 7 sessions.)

gidztar
Regular

I have a compilation album I bought and one of the tracks meta data has been replaced with a completely different artist. It just happens that there is a word in the band name that is the same as the other one and a word in the track name that is the same too. How can they just assume that their algorithm is always going to be accurate and not let us correct them when they are wrong? Why do they just think we can live with bad meta data?! They have a bit of time to fix this before I consider going elsewhere. Apple Music has a ton of bugs currently and not available on Android yet so I hope Spotify use that to their advantage and fix this soon!

thiagohenriquee
Casual Listener

THIS IS NOT A NEW IDEA!!!! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, SPOTIFY?????????? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DECIDE TO REMOVE THIS FEATURE???????????