[Desktop][Other] Add posibility to change CACHE location and limit it's size

Currently (1.1.16.522.g55a4b852 (Microsoft Store version)) it's not possible to change the CACHE directory location, and limit it's size. So many users end up with having their SSDs constantly doing I/O operations. It also consumes too much space (deleting it manually it's just like tilting at windmills.

Please implement possibility to manage the chache (there is option to manage the "offline songs storage", but I literally mean CACHE located in

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_blahblah\

)

Updated on 2019-10-16

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Comments
Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-10-16

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

OK, here is a work-around for Windows desktop that moves the cache folder.

[Edit] I'm using the non-windows store, regular desktop version. I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work for both.

TLDR, use Windows MKLINK to create a Directory Junction (or Symbolic Link) to create a link pointing to the new cache location.

If you know about junctions and links, you've probably already thought of this.  Those familiar with using the command window should be fine.  If you've read this far and haven't a clue, maybe just stop here.

These steps describe what I did. There are other ways, but if you knew that, you don't need my help 😁

Exit the Spotify app if it's running.

Create a folder where you want the new cache folder to go (ie D:\Spotify )

Browse to the Spotify folder (ie C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Spotify )

Copy the Data folder to the new location (the entire folder, not just the files inside)

Rename the old Data folder ( doesn't matter what, as long as it's different, ie "oldData" )

Open a Command Prompt (by right-clicking and select "run as administrator")

Create a Junction using this example command  (adjust for your particular details)

MKLINK /J C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data D:\Spotify\Data

If all went well, it should say "junction created"  etc etc

In the Spotify folder, you should see the Data folder reappear, but with a link icon instead.

If you open that Data folder, you should see all the cache files.

Despite the path showing in your window, you are actually seeing the files in your new folder.

Start up Spotify and it should work exactly as before. You have successfully fooled it into thinking the cache is still in the same place.

When you are sure that Spotify is working properly, you may delete the "oldData" folder that you renamed.

I don't know how to limit the size of the cache, however mine seems to max at 10GB which is fine for me.

Roadie

This needs to be fixed for the non-Windows store version of the desktop app too. The cached files are still ending up in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data\