Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Other] Sleep timer for desktop

I noticed recently I can’t use the sleep timer feature on the desktop version of Spotify.

This is pretty inconvenient seeing as 99% of the time I’m not using my phone for Spotify if i'm planning to listen to music while going to sleep. Obviously i don’t know the ins and outs of adding such a feature but surely something so small can’t be hard to implement?

I’m assuming the feature is in the process of being added as I see no point in giving it to mobile users with no intentions of adding it to the desktop version which seems far more practical in my mind. 

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
22ffe7xmdnokymr

How**bleep** is this not a thing yet. Cmon it can't be that hard. Might have to consider Apple Music if this isn't fixed shortly

thE-iNviNciblE

any status changes?

Lollicore

As I still can't seem to find the sleeptimer on the Desktopapp, I made one myself.

How to use it:

Just create a textfile on your Desktop, name it something you want and paste that code (the italic stuff) into it:

@echo off
title Spotifysleeper by Lollicore
echo When do you want Spotify to be stopped?
echo (enter value in minutes, in numbers)
set /p i= :
echo Spotify will be stopped in %i% minutes.
set /a timer=i*60000
pathping localhost -q 1 -p %timer% > nul
taskkill /IM Spotify.exe /T /F
exit

Now go ahead and rename the fileextension to ".bat", if you have done it right, the icon should also change.

When you double click the little program, you'll be asked to input your desired sleeptime (ENTER IT IN MINUTES AND JUST NUMBERS, NOTHING ELSE). You can then minimize the window, but don't close it unless you want Spotify not to stop. The program will close Spotify.exe after that time has ran out.

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS ONLY WORKS PROPERLY ON WINDOWS-SYSTEMS

Hope this thread is looked at enough, so someone gets a use out of this

If something doesn't work, message me and i'll look into it.

Israduscias

A workaround is to control your desktop session with your phone.
But that doesn't solve the space issues offc.

Lollicore

Yeah that's true of course, but I wanted a standalone solution, because I often shut my phone down over night

Spotify couldn't just implement the Sleeptimer themselves, that's the thing

daniel-ivo

You can make your Windows PC shut down by using the command prompt. You can set a specific time and even create a shortcut on your Desktop.

thE-iNviNciblE
In a Shortcut use:

shutdown - shutdown.exe /s /t 00
hibernate - shutdown.exe /h

but i want it built-in.
Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 180 votes! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Mihail
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Razr

I wonder why this feature hasn't been on board since version 1.0. It's about time, folks!