[Desktop][Playlists] Restore Date Added (Asc) sort behavior to maintain album order

Thanks for the new Desktop client upgrade! Apologies if this idea has already been submitted—I searched and didn't see it.

I have many large playlists mostly containing multiple complete albums that I add albums to by visiting an album page and dragging the album cover to the playlist to add all of the tracks from that album to the playlist.

I then use the Date Added column to sort the playlist by Date Added ^ (Ascending). With the previous version of the desktop client, the effect of this was that the most recently added tracks were at the top of the playlist, but the tracks were listed in the correct album order. Super convenient for not having to scroll to the very bottom of a long playlist to get to my most recently added albums. Also to be able to listen to albums (in the correct track order), from most recently added album to least recent.

However with the new client, the tracks display in reverse album order. I assume this is because when I drag and drop the album to the playlist, the tracks are technically added in album order, which then means sorting the playlist with most recently added at the top would flip the order of the album.

It would be fantastic if the original sorting behavior could be restored (perhaps by ignoring microsecond differences in date/time added).

Thanks again! 

Updated on 2021-05-21

This suggestion is now open for voting! If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Comments
CashewLover
Visitor

Yes. This is much needed.

kick_ball_boy
Music Fan

Yes! Thank you! I have no idea why anybody would want their albums to be out of order regardless of how they sort the playlist! This is ridiculous, and now my 1000+song playlists can't be listened to because I added albums in, and now if I want to listen by recents, the album plays backwards!

Spotify, nobody wanted this change. Nobody listens to albums backwards. If someone really wanted that for some sort of "hidden message," they're already used to adding the occasional album in backwards. Please revert this or give us an option!

kick_ball_boy
Music Fan

@Eni@Mario 

Here i have attached a video showing this erroneous album behavior that only started since the update to 1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a (desktop) from the previous version I was on, which was before the desktop/mobile design merge.

As you can see, when I add an album to a playlist, it adds fine, but when I try to sort the playlist by "recently added," the album order inverts (wrong behavior). The album should always stay in order, like it does on the iOS app (that I have) and previous versions of the desktop app. This glitch is new to the version I listed earlier. I saw other comments saying this glitch is also appearing on mobile now, which makes me hesitant to update, but either way I am unable to test on iOS because the newer mobile app has the problem where playlist orders are being sorted incorrectly by most recently edited instead of the playlist order.

The behavior should be changed back to treating albums as individual units when choosing sort order in playlist, so whether we search by most recent or oldest added, any album that is playing should play in order. The way it is now, I can't listen to a playlist by recently added because albums will play backwards (wrong behavior). 

Thank you.

Jacob
Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-21

This suggestion is now open for voting! If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Related Ideas